Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,698

3 members and 2,695 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new rat

Thanks

new rat

well saturday night i brought a rat home for my bp and she didn't eat. so i put the rat in a spare cage and she was soooooooo sweet my husband and i didn't want her to die. so sunday we went and bought a better cage and some toys. so now i have a pet rat! when she gets old enough i'm thinking of breeding her. she's an albino and very friendly i'm glad she didn't eat her.
    Please click me

Thanks

Re: new rat

Cool, congrats on the new friend. That's just another reason why I don't feed rats to my snakes. I would be adding new rats to my cage all the time and really making my BF mad.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Rats make great pets. I would suggest, Kathryn, that you get her a cage buddy of the same sex. Rats really make better mannered pets if they have another rat to socialize with in the cage. No matter how much time you give to them as a pet, they need the closeness with another of their kind to be really well balanced animals.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

pet rats rock!!

I refuse to ever ever feed rats to Cameron.. not so long as im alive will that snake ever meet a rat

Thanks

I know how that is I used to have mice for a few days when my snake was bein picky but honestly I hate mice, they stink and are just nasty. But when I did feed rats they were neat to hold and pet.

So.... I had to give in and bought to little dumbo rats today as pets/future breeders. They're still kinda shy but they are cool
    Crazy bout balls!!!

Thanks

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one! I brought home a rat one day for feed. I normally go for albinos, but that day all the albinos were way too big for my snake. I ended up getting a small charcoal grey and white rat. As soon as I took her out of box to get ready to feed, I saw the cute little "star" she had on the top of her head and could not bring myself to drop her into the feed box. That same day I went back to Petco and purchased a rat cage, care book, and all the fixings. A week later I bought "Little Girl" a friend.

I thought it nuts that I have a BP and rats as pets.... Especialy since the last two were a result of an attempted feed!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have named your rats 'Lucky'?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    I thought it nuts that I have a BP and rats as pets.... Especialy since the last two were a result of an attempted feed!
    I quess I've always been odd then because I've never seen any reason that one couldn't see rats as both pets and a prey animal or that having snakes and rats as pets was at odds with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I had a breeder female for a long while named Lucky. She was meant as a feeder, the snake refused, she got "promoted" to a breeder.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Heh, having both is not strange at all. I had my rats before my snakes! Rats are the cleanest, sweetest, and most playful of all rodenty pets.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    LOL, we have at least one female named Lucky, and one other that still is yet unamed. Lucky #2.

I love rats, and I think they make awesome pets, but I respect them for producing food for my snakes. Maybe it's the native american side of me taking over.

Even though some disagree with our feeding rats, I think when you can respect the animal, give it a good home and care, it will return the favor to you. If that is with it's own life to support another, or by giving birth to more pups to help sustain my animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast