Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,543

1 members and 1,542 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

my son "squished" my frog!!

Yes, its exactly as it sounds.. I had finished doing my photo shoot, made dinner for my kids and sat back down at my desk and looked over at the tank. Oddly enough #1 (more vibrant) had left the wall of the tank, odd i thought to myself until my 3˝yo son came over and said "Mommy, sorry i squished your frog it was an accident" Horror stricken I opened the tank (exoterra) and searched for both frogs, they were both in their tank but #1 has a lighter mark on his back.. (pics below to show)

How do I know if hes caused any internal damage.. knowing he can be a bit rough theres no telling how hard he "squished" him.. im just so upset at the thought after all this time im going to loose him over my own negligance of thinking my son couldnt open the tank by himself.. needless to say weve already called our reptile supplier and had them put a hold on a cable lock for the tank, for now there is a ziptie until i can get there tomorrow...

how long before i know if hes going to make it do you think?

Thanks

Re: my son "squished" my frog!!

if he doesn't look normal tonight, a vet visit might be needed! sorry! Don't those cages have locks on them?
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Sadly the cage didnt have a lock on it.. you can purchase a cable lock for the cage but i didnt think he was able to get into it, which is why we didnt have one on it. We have contacted our reptile store and they have some.. im going tomorrow to pick one up.

Im not sure what a vet is going to be able to do for a 2" long red eye tree frog.. my exotic vet doesnt even treat frogs as far as i know...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

can you see any bruising or discoloration on the frog's stomach (that could be a sign of internal bleeding)? can you tell if any ribs appear broken? how is the frog moving around--jumping, walking okay? has it eaten since this happened? has the mottled color on his back changed back to normal? (sorry for the questions, just trying to think of different possibilities.)
    - Emily

Thanks

it is moving about the cage.. its color has come back somewhat to normal... i cant see its belly right now as its hanging out with the other frog and they both have their necks poofed out (like they would get ready to call) this evening i will check to see if it eats

Thanks

we had some calling last night!! Im not sure who it came out of but #1 (vibrant smooshy) was the only one to ever call before. He looks like hes doing well today.. walking around his viv like nothing happened.. im thanking my lucky stars hes alright so far and already have the cable lock on the tank, Elliott has been apologising all day!