Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

0 members and 3,108 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

My new Red Eyed Tree Frogs

Hey everyone,

Last night I got the chance to pick up my pair of RETFs from my boss/ best friends mother. I got them housed in a used tank from the pet store, which was like $35. I made sure to clean it, but I was very careful to not use soaps, due to the fact that its not good for them. I submerged the tank in hot, almost boiling water for a good hour. I scrubed it clean, and dried it off. I then added coconut husk for substrate, so it would stay nice and humid. I then added a shallow water dish, and a log leaning against the wall. When it came time to feed, I noticed that the crickets would jump around, and I couldn't find them, I guessed they ate them. Anyways I added a dish where I can take off the legs from the crickets, and keep them in there to eat. I covered the top with tin foil, and added a small heat pad to the bottom, just so it can stay in that 80 degree range.

LOL, when taking some shots, you will see, one decided to jump right one me. Haha
    So little, yet scared the crap out of me

Well without further ado, here are my new RETFs

Now I know, that handling should be to a minimum, these frogs will be strictly display, I only woke them up to get a few shots in.

Also, sorry for the bad pics, My photo taking skills will never be as good as AshleyB's
    Mitch

Thanks

Re: My new Red Eyed Tree Frogs

your too funny!! your pictures came out great!

Do you have plants to add for them? They do like the coverage of the plants, otherwise it looks great! congrats on the new additions, they are a blast! That is an AWESOME price for that tank! i cant wait to get mine. Did they have any more lol..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

congrats! they look like nice plump healthy frogs.

a few thoughts:
    - it looks pretty wet in there. the humidity only needs to be at about 50%, but can rise to 80% or so for short periods right after you mist. too wet is actually detrimental to the frogs and will cause mold to grow. red eyes need good ventilation as well, so just cover half of the screen top.

- definitely add some plants and horizontal and vertical climbing structures. vines, corkbark, plants (real or fake) etc. the frogs like plants with leaves that are sturdy and wide enough for them to hide in. if you want to use real plants do a search for plants that are safe to use with red eyes.
    - Emily

Thanks

At the moment, I can't afford plants. Haha, I know... It sucks, but as soon as I can, plants will be in there. I will make sure to only have half the screen covered. Thanks for the advice
    Mitch

Thanks

Eeek.. thats why i set up the tank before i got the frogs.. not only that because you alreayd have the frogs its not a great idea to add real plants until you can have them established and make sure there are no pesticides on them. Otherwise I would say I paid at most $3 for one of my plants. the other two were about $2.. they are small but growing well now. Good luck, i hope you can get some coverage in there for them soon.