Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,906

3 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Which of the racks in the picture has a more appropriate size for an adult BP?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • A: 1 foot tall by two feet wide by 18 inches deep

1 14.29%
  • B: 6 inches tall by two feet wide by 18 inches deeo

2 28.57%
  • C: 8 inches tall by two feet wide by 18 inches deep

4 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rack thing--Back heating?

My dad and I are planning on building a...well, not a rack exactly (my parents are still wildly against the idea of keeping any animal in plastic tubs, lol) but it's similar to...anyways, it'll be built out of 2''x4''s as support, melamine so the back's a solid color, and clear plexiglass for the front and sides...now. The way we have it designed, it's impossible to get belly heat--for BPs, is back heat alright?

I just spent like an hour working on a diagram...it'll be front opening with individual doors and latches. I've included three possible versions, with three different possible sizes for the big adults. It's in proportion, so...yeah. Could you tell me which one you like best?

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Re: Rack thing--Back heating?

i like c because it offers 2 more inches of height, although you may be able to get away with b, c may offer you some more options?

Thanks

I think all of the options are too small for an adult female BP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    I think all of the options are too small for an adult female BP.
    Agreed...a 36" deep tub is about standard for adult females. You're at half of that right now....

Why not just build seperate racks for each tub size?
    -Brad

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I too will have to agree with Charlie and Brad. None of those designs have a slot large enough for an adult Ball Python. I would say that the minimum required spae for a small adult would be 18"x30". 6' of height is plenty enough for a Ball as well.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Hm...well I could shift things around so that I can put one smaller size next to a larger one...I might just have to build a separate rack for the adults, in which case I'd likely go for 3'wide, 2' deep and 6'' tall since muddoc says it's plenty...the 3' wide should make up for it only being 24'' deep, and won't take up a whole lot of extra floor space (all this will be going into a 12x11' room along with my bed, desk, and nightstand though luckily I have no dresser, but unfortunately I have windows on 2 walls) and at 5' tall to match the other it'll leave space for 10 adults. Sound good?

I wasn't sure about the size because although I own a fairly large adult, I'd never bothered to measure out something 2'x18'' and see how well she fit...it never occurred to me to try. I've been keeping her in a 55gal and that's horrible to keep the temps and humidity right even with three layers of aluminum foil, one of the really strong heating lamps and a large UTH with the water bowl partly on it. I'm definitely interested in reducing air space.

And I'm not using tubs, like I said; it's entirely melamine and plexiglass, a solid structure, not tubs; I tried but my dad thinks it's cruel, and since he's paying for it (I don't currently have the funds to build a rack system) I'm not going to protest overly much, lest he decide to withdraw this sudden generosity--he's all but inviting me to fill it with snakes! XD That's why it's not more than 5 feet tall; it has to be short enough for me to be able to clean out the very top enclosures without needing a ladder! :p

In any case I figure that 18'' of depth is more than enough for babies and juvies, but thought it seemed a bit small for the adults. Thanks for the input!

And nobody answered my original question...is back heat okay in that sort of a system? Will not having belly heat bother the snakes? Would back heat provide enough heat, provided that I put some sort of insulation on the back to both protect the heating elements and retain heat?
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

None of your options will accommodate adult females

Adult males can be house in 32 quarts tubs (23 1/2"L x 16 1/4"W x 6 3/8"H)

Adult females need to be house in 41 quarts tubs (33 1/2"L X 17 3/4"W X 6" H)

As for the heat belly heat is more efficient than back heat (back heat = heat loss).
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    And I'm not using tubs, like I said; it's entirely melamine and plexiglass, a solid structure, not tubs; I tried but my dad thinks it's cruel, and since he's paying for it (I don't currently have the funds to build a rack system) I'm not going to protest overly much, lest he decide to withdraw this sudden generosity
    That thing (specifically the smaller slots) is going to be near impossible to keep clean, and as you've already pointed out, it won't be available to provide belly heat whatsoever. In addition, since you will be back-heating all the slots the same way, you really won't be able to effectively regulate ambient temps in a consistent manner (the larger slots have many times the air volume of the smaller ones).

I would seriously sit dad down and explain that tubs are not cruel, and regardless of his opinion on the matter, experts with years of experience with these animals have found through trial and error they are the best for the animal and the breeder, and swear by them.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Thanks

All are too small for adults.

Thanks

So... I dont get this.

Your dad thinks tubs are "cruel"? Why? Because it's plastic?
    Instead he wants you to build a smaller enclosure... thats going to be harder to clean... and harder to keep warm....

Just looking at that from a keeper standpoint, I would NOT want to disinfect that every week, much less wrangle around with the humidity and temps. Since they will be different... And as everyone has stated, its much to small.

Good luck with the chat with Dad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast