Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

1 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rtb Q

Registered User Classicrocker42o's Avatar
    Thanks

Rtb Q

So exactly what is the difference between BCI and BCC?
    I know what they stand for.

What is the difference from a Brazilian, Bolivian, Guyana, and Amazon Basin. Is there any I'm missing? What all morphs do they have?

Thanks

Re: Rtb Q

They are different subspecies.. and there are different localities of each subspecies (ie Colombian BCI, Suriname BCC etc)

There are many boa constrictor subspecies (and more localities yet)

Of BCI there are Colombian, Central American, Hog Island, Nicaraguan.. and probably more I'm forgetting. Colombians have more morphs than any of the other boa constrictors.. they're also the most common in captivity. Just a few: albino, coral albino, caramel albino, salmon, hypo, arabesque, jungle, snow, sunglow, anerythristic, motley, ghost.. ok that was more than just a few. There are a few BCI morphs in other localities.. the blood boa, leopard boa, T+ albino nicaraguan.. etc

Of BCC there's Surinam, Guyanan, Peruvian, Trinidad, another Colombian.. and a few others that are not common in the pet trade. I can't think of any morphs in these that weren't introduced into the bloodline from other subspecies.

BC Occientialis - the Argentine boa. There is a t+ albino morph.

BC Amarali - Bolivian and Bolivian short tail boa. Don't know of any morphs, though exceptional Bolivian specimens are called Silverbacks. These are some knock-out boas.

BC Longicauda - Peruvian longtail boa. Not common, but really cool snake. Almost black and white in nice specimens. There is an anery morph.

There's a few other subspecies, but they're quite rare.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Does the care sheet on the site include bcc?
    Or would I have to find another one?
    Because it says (bci) after.

Are the difficulties the same? "Beginner+"

I wouldn't mind getting it as my second current snake. We use to have a king, and a black rat snake.

What would anyone recommend getting? (that isn't too expensive) I was thinking maybe a bcc. I want something that will not get much bigger than 10 feet, but something that's over 6/7.

Banned
    Thanks

wat do bci or bcc stand for?

Thanks

BCC are generally a tad more picky when it comes to husbandry requirements than BCI. Sometimes they can be more nervous too. A BCC is going to be more expensive than a Colombian BCI.. though you can find less expensive BCC. 6-8' is pretty typical.. females being larger. Either subspecies has the capacity to hit 10', though it's not really common.

BCC = boa constrictor constrictor
    BCI = boa constrictor imperator

April

Thanks

I'm thinking of using a 30 gallon tank for him, and then transfer him out to our 55 gallon tank as he grows.

Eventually I'll need a 6 foot in closer right? Probably like 3 feet wide by 30 inches high? The care sheet only says 6 feet long.

Thanks

What are you getting? You want a nice small tank (preferably a tub) for a baby boa. They can be shy as babies.. especially BCC. One of the bigger shoebox tubs (sometimes they call them boot boxes) is good for a baby.. or a sweaterbox for a slightly larger baby boa.

Adults will need a 4' x2' cage most likely.. a really big female may need a 6 footer though.

April

Thanks

Okay I think I'm going to be adopting a 3ft Columbian RTB and suppose to be bought around June. Someone got it for their son, but as it got bigger he was intimidated.

I have a 55 gallon tank, but how big of a change he could brake the glass? Then possibly buy a big tub, or make something. I'm going to buy a reo-stat, and a 55 gallon heating pad.

Any different idea's on how I should set up his enclosure? and ones for when he gets bigger?

Also I was wondering on feeding. They have the snake at "1 lg mouse a week" should I move this to rat pups correct?

Now don't beat me up to much on this question. I couldn't find any sites, and I forgot how much they are at pet warehouse. What are the prices of medium sized rats when he gets full grown? And you feed once a month then or like every 2 weeks?

Thanks

you will be needing jumbo rats or rabbits when full grown. mediums are round 4.00 frozen lrgs 6.00 jumbos 9.00 at petco, a lot cheaper through rodent pro. but after they are 2 years old you usually will only feed every two weeks and when bout 6 or 7 feet every 3 weeks.
    0.3 Columbian Red Tail
    1.1 Het Anery RTB
    1.2 Salmon RTB
    1.0 Hogg Island
    1.0 Kahl Albino RTB
    1.0 Jampea Dwarf Retic
    0.1 Yellow-head Retic
    0.1 Pastel Red Tail
    0.1 Het Albino RTB
    1.0 Argentine Boa
    1.0 Normal BP

Thanks

A 3' boa is not going to be able to break the glass.. I've never heard of any boa breaking the glass for that matter.

I'd recommend a thermostat over a rheostat. You will have to keep a very close eye on it if you use the rheostat.. and it will need to be adjusted as the room temps fluctuate.

April

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast