Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

0 members and 3,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Garter in the yard!

My husband took this picture of a garter in our yard in August 2007. Just thought I would share. Cute little guy. I think he's an Eastern Garter Snake.

Registered User Classicrocker42o's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Garter in the yard!

Was he red on the bottom or that the picture?

All the ones I ever see and know of have a greenish belly.

Thanks

We didn't get a look at his belly. His sides were brown with a slight reddish hue. Could be the lighting somewhat, too.

Thanks

he kinda looks like a king snake but nice pic

Thanks

Thats a nice picture. Did you know that garter snakes are slightly venomous. Not enough to be considered what we call a venomous snake. If you play with one long enough and it bites you enough then you can start to feel the effects of it. Actually there was a professor that did research that suggests that there are technically no nonvenomous snake species. He proposed that all snakes are venomous but that they vary on the degree. This idea comes from the fact that venom is really nothing more than digestive enzymes that have "evolved" for the feeding process. This is just an interesting fact that I learned in one of my college biology classes that I thought you guys and gals might be interested in.

Registered User Classicrocker42o's Avatar
    Thanks

I found one in a water fountain where it squirts up water, and it's surrounded by water for the most part.

Well I ended up taking it out and it struck me twice after a minute of handling it. The little s.o.b. drew a little amount of blood on each bite.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Classicrocker42o View Post
    Well I ended up taking it out and it struck me twice after a minute of handling it. The little s.o.b. drew a little amount of blood on each bite.
    Ouch! I haven't had the courage to handle any wild herps yet. But I plan to!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Thats a nice picture. Did you know that garter snakes are slightly venomous. Not enough to be considered what we call a venomous snake. If you play with one long enough and it bites you enough then you can start to feel the effects of it. Actually there was a professor that did research that suggests that there are technically no nonvenomous snake species. He proposed that all snakes are venomous but that they vary on the degree. This idea comes from the fact that venom is really nothing more than digestive enzymes that have "evolved" for the feeding process. This is just an interesting fact that I learned in one of my college biology classes that I thought you guys and gals might be interested in.
    Interesting theory. But also "venomous" snakes have venom glands. I guess he argues that salivary glands could be the same thing? I think venom delivery method might be a sticking point - saliva on the teeth vs. venom coming from inside the tooth or a tooth canal/ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bonheki View Post
    he kinda looks like a king snake but nice pic
    Hmmm... I don't know much about wild snakes in our area except for the black rat snakes. Maybe I'll research it more. What do you think?

Thanks

Looks like a garter to me. This post is funny, though, because it reminded me that the same day that I caught the big rat snake at my uncle's cabin (mentioned in your other thread), I caught a garter snake, too!

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoo-t View Post
    Looks like a garter to me. This post is funny, though, because it reminded me that the same day that I caught the big rat snake at my uncle's cabin (mentioned in your other thread), I caught a garter snake, too!
    Steve
    I wish it were spring so I could go searching around our wood piles! What luck to see two in one day.

Yes, it's definitely an Eastern Garter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaFlipski View Post
    Ouch! I haven't had the courage to handle any wild herps yet. But I plan to!
    well don't bother with garter snakes, they'll musk all over you. hahaha. nice pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast