Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,809

1 members and 2,808 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Rat Bins

Thanks

Re: New Rat Bins

Just make sure of a few things...

- the bins have the good snap/lock top not the simple snap on lid

- pick the bins with the least amount of ridges inside, helps prevent chewing and also is one less place for poop to stick (makes life easier when you are cleaning a lot of bins)

- buy the heaviest grade zip ties you can find

- buy 1/2" hardware cloth (1/4" for mice) not chicken wire, any rodent worth it's teeth can go through chicken wire like a hot knife through butter
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

You should look into getting a rat rack. the bins slide and so you dont have to remove a lid each time. You can simply pull out a tray. as well there is then a central water feed that runs off a hose or a 5 gallon bucket. you dont have to change a thousand water bottles everynight then. I have one a love it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hype1108 View Post
    You should look into getting a rat rack. the bins slide and so you dont have to remove a lid each time. You can simply pull out a tray. as well there is then a central water feed that runs off a hose or a 5 gallon bucket. you dont have to change a thousand water bottles everynight then. I have one a love it.
    We plan on looking into those down the road once everything gets moving, but they are pretty expensive when you are just starting out and my wife, Hathor, keeps me pretty busy building snake stuff so I really do not have the time to mess with building our own rat rack at this time. This looks like a pretty good alternative in the mean time compared to buying each individual bin from a supplier.

Thanks

How many rats can/should be housed in one of those 35 gallon tubs?

Thanks

Re: New Rat Bins (DUW)

Quote Originally Posted by Epona142 View Post
    Would it be feasible to cut out a hole in the side wire, just big enough for a food hopper (such as the ones they sell for rabbit hutches) to fit in? That way someone little like me could refill food without unstacking or opening tubs, and the rats wouldn't be able to scatter it like from bowls. (Well, they would, just not as quickly, LOL)
    I made my tubs and attached a j-feeder by cutting out just enough of the hardwire cloth for it to fit through (approx 5-1/2" by 1-3/4").

Here's my version: I couldn't find the Sterilite tubs, so I bought 36gal Rubbermaid tubs with locking lids ($12) and the panels I cut in the sides are 16" x 10". I used a hotknife from Michael's ($16.99) to cut out the panels. I used the 1/2" hardwire cloth (big roll was $8.99), and I bought a 50 foot roll of 19 gauge galvanized steel wire ($2.29) to lace on the hardwire cloth. I bought 5-1/2" j-feeders ($6.50) and 32oz water bottles ($4.50).

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/ratbins4.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/ratbins2.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/ratbins6.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/ratbins3.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...on/ratbins.jpg
    Last edited by dr del; 04-07-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: please keep pics under 800 pixels wide ;-)

Thanks

We have used the same idea on these bins, but recently had to switch to wiring for keeping the hardware cloth attached, as 2 of our totes were constantly losing zip ties due to chewing.

My hubby took 18 gauge galvanized steel wire and threaded it through the holes we had for the zip ties already and then twisted together at the end and it works very well so far. At least they can't chew it off

Thanks

Went out and bought the first bin right after this post started. Liked it so much went out and got another one around easter (hence the purple tub). They have been working great. I too had a hard time with the cutting of the openings. But got it done. Thanks for the great idea, sorry it took me this long to post it.

REPTILES: Ball Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Blue Tongue Skink, Corn Snakes, Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Mali Uromastyxs, Sulcata Tortoise, Tokay Geckos, Veiled Chameleons.
    FISH: African Cichlids, Rhino Pleco, Silver Dollars, Tiger Oscars
    MAMMALS: Miniture Pinschers, Cat, ASF's, boyfriend, me

Thanks

Geesh April I'm totally jealous of that cool purple rat bin! I love purple!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Funny thing is I was a little upset when we went to get the second one and all they had was purple and a mint green (easter colors). But it's grown on me. Of course it was the bachelor pad at first till the rats got big enough to be put together to breed. But it is nice having two different colors so I know who is in which tub.
    REPTILES: Ball Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Blue Tongue Skink, Corn Snakes, Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Mali Uromastyxs, Sulcata Tortoise, Tokay Geckos, Veiled Chameleons.
    FISH: African Cichlids, Rhino Pleco, Silver Dollars, Tiger Oscars
    MAMMALS: Miniture Pinschers, Cat, ASF's, boyfriend, me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Those look good. Nice cross ventilation. I would really put the mesh on the inside though, it will help decrease the chance that they can get to the plastic. If it's eye-level, they will chew it, IME. I wish they made metal zip ties.. I've had enough of the plastic ones chewed to last me a lifetime(although the dwarves haven't touched the zip ties holding their custom cage together... Beats me!).
    Paper clips + needlenose pliers= Metal twist/zip tie.

No experience, just an idea.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast