Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,101

3 members and 3,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Rat Bins

Thanks

Re: New Rat Bins

I think after the holidays, we'll give this a try. I like this idea, alot. Thanks for sharing!
    ~*Raven*~

Thanks

Thanks Raven, I'm really enjoying this new design. So far no chewing around the mesh, no buildup of smell at all, not much kick out of bedding. Once I get a hot knife I can make my cuts much cleaner...that's the only part that's bugging me about these new tubs...I don't like those jagged cut lines. LOL

Just remember to use the hardware cloth not chicken wire. Any rat worth it's teeth can get through chicken wire in a moment or two.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

How did you cut the opening for the mesh and what type of product are you referring to when you say "hot knife"? I have an idea in my head as to what it is, but can't place the name of it.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

my hubby uses a jigsaw - it's electric and does a fine job! we just moved some rats into our first finished bin... looooooks good jo!!! i'm impressed!

i was telling a friend yesterday that when jo does something with/for her ratties... i always stand up and take notice. never met anyone who takes care of ratties like i try to... just like it was a pet dog. same level of love and care. i salute you woman, you are who i aspire to be!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilian View Post
    How did you cut the opening for the mesh and what type of product are you referring to when you say "hot knife"? I have an idea in my head as to what it is, but can't place the name of it.
    Couldn't find the link I thought I saved but here's one from ebay to show you what I mean. Basically it's an exacto knife that heats up and apparently cuts plastic like a hot knife through butter. Another member here mentioned he found his either at Hobby Lobby or Home Depot, yet another member mentioned finding something similar at WalMart as part of a wood burning hobby type set.

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess View Post
    i was telling a friend yesterday that when jo does something with/for her ratties... i always stand up and take notice. never met anyone who takes care of ratties like i try to... just like it was a pet dog. same level of love and care. i salute you woman, you are who i aspire to be!
    Thanks so much Aleesha, that's awfully nice of you to say hon.

I wouldn't say I'm as much about my rats being pets as I am of the mind of a good small farmer, like those I grew up around. Good farmers know their stock, know that good in is good out and most every one of them I knew growing up, respected and treated their animals well in their management of them.

I can't help but respect and care about any animal as social as a rat plus it's ability to fully support my snakes is always appreciated.

I'd love to see how your tubs turned out Aleesha, feel free to post them if you like.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

well in my world (as i'm not nor have ever been a farmer) that's the care given to my gaggle of critters! (or at least i attempt to do that)

so... you are my inspiration! thanks for inspiring me jo!
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Jo, just to recap, how did you cut the holes? I read through this three times and can't find it. Don't have a jigsaw. :-(

We used a blade heated up in the stove burner, which was messy and smelly.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

i don't know about her... but we used a jigsaw. worked like a dream
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I've used a dremel with a cutting wheel(not the cheap ones, the reenforced ones) to cut. Also the never-need-sharpening knives work like a "hot knife through butter" if you press down, instead of sawing. It's really hard to keep the knife going in the correct direction, but doable if you pay close attention.
    If I hadn't gotten some of Wild Bill's racks, I'd be doing this too. Nice work! And thanks for sharing, especially all the pictures of the labels.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Jo, just to recap, how did you cut the holes? I read through this three times and can't find it. Don't have a jigsaw. :-(

We used a blade heated up in the stove burner, which was messy and smelly.
    Jess, I traced the rectangle I needed cut out. Then I actually melted a bit of a starting hole and then had Mike cut them out with his big box cutter knife from work (I won't touch that deadly thing!). It worked but I'm still on the hunt for that exacto hot knife thing here locally in Toledo. I think that will do the trick a bit easier though of course it would still need to be done in a very well ventilated area.

Just further feedback on these tubs. It's been going beautifully. I'm seeing zero attempts to chew out, the rats seem to be content with climbing up and down and sideways on the big wire cutouts, I like that I can peek in on them and see easily how the group in each tub is doing. Weightwise they are perfect, big enough but not so heavy they slay my poor back. Stacking three high is fine, no wobble or lid sag. What I'm liking the best is how clean they smell even the day before cleaning day. With the cross ventilation they really are just not allowing any ammonia build up which is nice for my nose and the rats health. All in all I'm thrilled with them and feel I've finally found the just right tub setup for how I raise rats.

I does need said that for a major production breeding these tubs wouldn't be particularily space effective. For me and our needs they work beautifully. Should I need to jump up production in a major way down the road then I'd have to reassess but for now I'm a happy camper.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast