Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,045

1 members and 3,044 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Rat Bins

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Re: New Rat Bins

I have learned more about raising happy healthy rats from you than anyone else.

I am rehauling my rodent wall and am going to revamp my bins and put the mesh on the sides like that. I have been using the hardware cloth on the top and have been changing cages more than i wanted to, and was worried about the buildup.

Now that I see it... I think "well that makes perfect sense!"

Bruce

PS: At work they are throwing out a TON of those hard metal shelving units that you put together yourself. Strong, sturdy and wide. If u only lived a bit closer.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess View Post
    we are making these bins... i'm picking up the supplies today. thanks jo!!! *kisses*
    You're welcome Aleesha. So far I'm thrilled with this new bin design, the rats are loving it and I'm happy if my rats are happy, breeding, eating, etc. Once I can locate one of those hot knives cutting type tools my cuts will be cleaner. That's the one part I'm not thrilled about is the jagged cuts (yes I'm anal, I know this LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Loft Lizard View Post
    I have learned more about raising happy healthy rats from you than anyone else.

I am rehauling my rodent wall and am going to revamp my bins and put the mesh on the sides like that. I have been using the hardware cloth on the top and have been changing cages more than i wanted to, and was worried about the buildup.

Now that I see it... I think "well that makes perfect sense!"

Bruce

PS: At work they are throwing out a TON of those hard metal shelving units that you put together yourself. Strong, sturdy and wide. If u only lived a bit closer.
    Thanks so much Bruce, I've been pleased to be of help to you and proud of the rat colony you've built yourself.

This design actually came to me because of space issues. I couldn't stack my old design tubs due to the lid mesh and with some shelving I looked at, the tubs just barely fit so there wasn't going to be a lot of room for that mesh to allow fresh air in. Then I thought, well what the heck I can go with side mesh, double my ventilation in one fell swoop, give the rats a view of their world (and an easier peek in for me to see how everybody's doing) and even without a rack I can stack these tubs 2 or 2 high. I can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't think of this earlier LOL. These tubs are a heavier grade plastic too than the old ones and have a better lid lock down clip, which are always considerations when you are keeping rodents.

Wish I did live closer to you Bruce, those metal shelving units sound perfect! I missed out recently when I didn't get to a KMart store in time and could have picked up huge metal racks for next to nothing.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

This is a rack I'm considering for these big bins. I can put 5 bins per rack so a nice space savings for me. The other rack I'm looking at is about twice as wide so in theory could hold 10 of these big bins. It's a heavy grade plastic so huge but not ungawdly heavy. Unfortunately it's at a store here locally that doesn't have it's full product line online. That particular shelving unit retails for around $65.00. If it's not workable than this one at Lowe's for $40.00 will likely do quite fine for our needs.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...5BK&lpage=none

Well other than with me being a short thing I'm going to have to invest in a good sturdy step ladder LOL.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Looks terrific Joanna, thanks for sharing. The pictures are sooo useful!
    Any chance this could be stickied?
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

'Tis stickied!

Don't forget you can save favorite posts and threads now with the new version of vBulletin!

Use Thread Tools at the top of a thread to save to your favorites, or Add this post to favorites to save a post in your favorites.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i have a question for you jo. i have water bottles which need to hang on a special hanger... it measures 9" high. will it fit in the space you've created? is that mesh over 9" high?

what are the exact dimensions of the tubs.

i didn't get out yesterday but i will today... gotta get these mamas moved around before they give birth!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Yep the mesh is 10 inches high by 24 inches wide. If you re-read the first post I made Leeshie I included all measurements (tubs, mesh, etc.) as well as a picture of the actual label off the tubs and the mesh. I always like to see things rather than have them described to me.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

hahahaha of course... sorry.

thanks for the info about the mesh. i'm off to buy the stuff now.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

okay so i bought the bins. couldn't get the ones you got here, so i got some other ones... rubbermaid ones which are very similar in size.

they are a little less deep though so we are making the mesh opening a little smaller... with a dip in it for where the water bottle will be. so 8" deep except at the water bottle it'll be 10"

we are also using nuts, bolts and washers instead of zip ties... that way they can't eat through them. so one on each corner and then the zip ties in the middle... or we may put a long metal strip instead... we haven't finished making that decision yet.

i'll post pics when we are done. thanks jo!!!
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Can't wait to see them Aleesha.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast