Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

0 members and 2,810 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: New Rat Bins

Thanks
    those zip ties would not last very long ..

Thanks
    any update to these tubs??? chew out's?

Thanks
    I am going to do this to my new rack of cement mixing rat bins to increase the ventilation and to be able to add a water bottle or the auto water spout at a lower area to allow the babies a way to drink. Win win
    *Fila*

Thanks
    Gonna bump the thread... I'm making one of these and I have a few questions:

In cutting the hardware cloth, I find there's sharp edges left... any ideas to smooth these out?

Metal zip ties don't cinch down as tight or small as plastic, so I cut pieces and clamped them. What a pain in the butt. Any other suggestions for attaching the cloth to the sides?

Thanks!

Thanks
    We weaved them with electric fencing wire. Here is a picture of the cement mixing tubs we cut out with a hole saw to prevent cracking and integrity.
    *Fila*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/filas-p...7629677989211/

Thanks
    Here's how I did these. I used nuts, bolts and washers. Attach the wire to the INSIDE of the tub. I have been using this for about 6 months and have not had a chew out or any other problem!

I had some hardware cloth as well as leftover wire from building rabbit cages so I used both.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New Rat Bins

Quote Originally Posted by lasgsd View Post
    Here's how I did these. I used nuts, bolts and washers. Attach the wire to the INSIDE of the tub. I have been using this for about 6 months and have not had a chew out or any other problem!
    I love this idea. Currently I use LLL Reptile rat breeding bins for super pregnant moms and new litters, but I'd like a larger enclosure for girls in between litters and males. I'll go with nuts, bolts, and washers instead of metal cable ties!
    Ball pythons: 1.0 Pied, 0.1 Normal het Pied, 1.0 Spider, 0.1 Russo het Luc
    Domestic cats: 0.1 Misty, 0.1 Tootsie, 0.1 Oreo
    Hooded Striped rats: 1.0 General Tso, 1.0 Moo Goo, 0.1 Lo, 0.1 Chow
    Dalmation Dumbo rats: 0.1 Sesame

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New Rat Bins

Made two of these bins and have a few notes in case anyone else wants to try this...

Cutting hardware cloth leaves very sharp edges. I cut in the center of each square and used pliers to fold down the cut edge toward the center of the piece. Tried sanding with a Dremel but the vibration often tore apart the cloth's weak construction and I was left with free wires.

I wanted to use nuts, bolts, and washers to mount hardware cloth but couldn't find any of decent size in time (either too big or too small). Mounted with black zip ties and so far the rats have zero interest in testing these with their teeth. I mounted the hardware cloth on the inside with 1 inch overlap on all edges to prevent chewing. The two long sides are cut out with an intact lid, since I intend to stack them. Also, the term "hardware cloth" is a lie since there is nothing soft or gentle about that stuff. My poor fingers...

Right now there are water bottles hooked onto the sides but I might move to a gravity system. Two mommas with fuzzy litters are in one bin and they through an entire bottle in one day. Interestingly the rats' behavior has changed. They are much friendlier and less prone to charging the cloth when my fingers are near, and aren't as aggressive in defending their pups. Wish I did this sooner!
    Ball pythons: 1.0 Pied, 0.1 Normal het Pied, 1.0 Spider, 0.1 Russo het Luc
    Domestic cats: 0.1 Misty, 0.1 Tootsie, 0.1 Oreo
    Hooded Striped rats: 1.0 General Tso, 1.0 Moo Goo, 0.1 Lo, 0.1 Chow
    Dalmation Dumbo rats: 0.1 Sesame

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011