Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

1 members and 3,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Rat Bins

Thanks

Re: New Rat Bins

Maybe my rats aren't big chewers or something because I rarely have a zip tie nipped off by them. Mike did find some black really heavy grade zip ties so maybe that's it but I just don't have them nipping at the zip ties much at all.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

How do you cut the tubs without cracking the plastic? I cut a lid once to make a top for a homemade cricket keeper and it kept cracking.

Jimmy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Those look good. Nice cross ventilation. I would really put the mesh on the inside though, it will help decrease the chance that they can get to the plastic. If it's eye-level, they will chew it, IME. I wish they made metal zip ties.. I've had enough of the plastic ones chewed to last me a lifetime(although the dwarves haven't touched the zip ties holding their custom cage together... Beats me!).
    Habor freight sells metal ties. I use pop rivots with large washers on each side works great!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts

Hey, here's a few pics of mine that i just build. i tied it with 20 gauge galvanized wired.

Thanks

great pictures and awesome setup ideas. I was wondering how many of these tubs I will need to make? Can you please explain how many I will need and how to seperate the mice exactly? Explain it to me like im a 3 year old or something so that I understand it lol

thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Those look good. Nice cross ventilation. I would really put the mesh on the inside though, it will help decrease the chance that they can get to the plastic. If it's eye-level, they will chew it, IME. I wish they made metal zip ties.. I've had enough of the plastic ones chewed to last me a lifetime(although the dwarves haven't touched the zip ties holding their custom cage together... Beats me!).
    There are companys that make metal zip ties here is a link to one http://www.nelcoproducts.com/shoppin...?pid=76&cid=36
    an instead of using zip ties 18 gage steel wire found at craft stores works very well at securing wire meshing and isnt that difficult to work with. i've used the wire on two tubs so far and it has worked out great so far.

Thanks

If you only run the mesh on the top of the sides instead of further down like you have them as strips of around 2-4" but about the same length as you have yours would it still adequately ventilate?

I'm wondering because I'd prefer not to have to worry about kick out/them chewing out. I also would like to be able to stack them too. I've been debating with myself whether running the mesh on the lid or on the sides would be best, but if I did it high enough on the sides they should have a low likelihood of getting up there and chewing out as well as allowing me to stack the bins.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

I know this is an old thread but wanted to add in what i have done .
    My asf grow up bins i have cut the lids with a knife/box cutter and attached wire to the inside of the lids with rivvets that way it is secure and they cant chew through , I am looking at doing one with the sides cut out and try that

Thanks

I am in the process of wanting to build a rat cage too. Decided it would be cheaper to breed my own rats for the snakes instead of buying them all the time. Love your idea. I heard that housing them in an aquarium is not good for them due to the fact that they can't breath as well.

Joanne

Thanks
    I used this design, but I had major problems with the rats chewing on the plastic, they made HUGE holes lol. So instead I cut out a whole on the lid and put mesh over that. Now the little suckers can't chew anything.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast