Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

2 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Discreet Tub Setup

Hey all,

I'm new here, and new to the hobby, so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions.

I'm a college student living by myself in a one bedroom apartment, and I'd really like a snake. My lease says no pets. I've got a friend with a king snake who is in the same situation, and we've both agreed to take care of the other's snake for a while in the situation that the landlord gets upset, however I'd still like to be as discreet as possible.

Is anybody else in this situation? How is the setup for a tub different than the setup for a tank?

I'm in no hurry to get a snake, right now I'm just doing research, so feel free to shoot me your honest opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Discreet Tub Setup

I've been in the same situation.

Really, the best way to keep things under wraps is simply to keep quiet about it. Don't even ask if it's OK. We know better than what society says...we're educated enough to know that the animals we keep are completely harmless and will never cause problems.

I bought a rack system and filled it up..I never had any problems. Chances are, the people that come in...maintainence and such...will have no idea what the rack system is for. I kept my rack in my room, where no one was allowed.

I'm now in a house where the home owner is completely cool with my collection.

Thanks

Thanks for the response! It's good to know that there are others in my situation.

How much light should the tub allow? I'm guessing most of the tubs used are the semi-clear "glazed" type?

Thanks

Nathan, with all respect, I don't think that it's completely right to say that they will never cause any problems. I understand what you mean, as far as bp's or kings go, but there could be problems if one excapes and finds its way to a room where someone who is afraid of snakes resides. It could potentially cause a huge problem that has a ripple effect in the hobby.
    Now for my answer to the question, just be creative. You can get a few underbed storage bins, and one or two of them could just happen to hold snakes. If you are using a tub enclosure, there are a number of places to keep it without it being in view of any potential company. Hell, you can keep a tub in most underwear drawers. I wouldn't worry too much. Most No Pet rules are based around animals peeing on the carpet. I've lived in an apartment for years breeding corn snakes and leopard geckos, and keeping various pythons with a No Pet policy. My landlord and his wife were total hardasses, but they saw them several times, and the only thing they did was ask what the hell was in all the cages and racks. I casually said, "Oh, I breed geckos as a hobby. They're like fish, only I don't have to worry about spilling any water on the carpets". I took a leopard gecko out to show them and kept a printout of the general info about what I kept just in case they grilled me, but it was never a big deal.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Jake you have a good point.

That is actually one of the reasons i would much rather be in a house.

Thanks

Very good points, thanks!

Probably a stupid question, but does it matter if the tubs are clear? There wouldn't be much light if I kept the tub under my bed, is this an issue? Also, my bed is only about 6 or 7 inches off the ground, would a corn snake (or maybe a ball python) need more vertical room to stretch?

I don't think I'd have a problem with the landlord, I live in a huge complex, and the only time anybody is in here (as far as I know) is maintenance, and they're supposed to give me 24 hours notice. I'd just rather not get stuck having to deal with an upset landlord.

Thanks again!

Thanks

A bp can live it's whole life in a tub that's 6 1/2" high, as long as the floor space is enough. I like to give corns and kings more verticle room, just because they use it, but it's not 100% mandatory. It depends on the species, but an 18" fluorescent under cabinet light can be had for $7, and they don't get too hot. You can get one of these and mount it to a tub and put it on a timer in a drawer or under a bed, but I'd rather have a snake out in the open, in your situation, then having a strange light coming from in a drawer or under my bed if you know what mean. I think you would look a lot worse trying so hard to hide something that can't pee on the rug. Plus you don't want sheriffs spending tax dollars on surveillance or a sting operation for a possible underbed micro grow operation. I would honestly just set up a tank in a back room like you have nothing to hide. Most likely you don't, and if it ever causes any problems you can always let your buddy hold onto it for a week while you make a discreet underbed setup. And tubs don't have to be clear, just transluscent so the snake has an idea of whether it's day or night.
    Last edited by PythonWallace; 11-17-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

You could always do an under bed, under tank heater. That way there are no lights involved. It's better that way anyway. Just run the cord along the wall and then no one has any idea anything is even there. One side of the tub would face out, so the animal would be able to tell whether it's day or night, and then the other three sides are dark. It's perfect for ball pythons and their privacy.

Btw, did you know some apartments have rules like, "Small dogs and cats ok. NO SNAKES" ? When I was apartment hunting I saw that, and it was like, "are you kidding?" But I guess the only reason is maybe they had some larger animals escape in the past. I can see how it would be a scary situation for non-snake people. *shrug*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    Btw, did you know some apartments have rules like, "Small dogs and cats ok. NO SNAKES" ? When I was apartment hunting I saw that, and it was like, "are you kidding?"
    Are you kidding me? Currently I am looking for an apartment and one of my first questions to landlrds are What's your definition of pets? They ask what I have. I reply snakes and lizards. They ask what kinds and i give me list but when I get to ball PYTHON they freak. lol its funny

But when I do find a place I think Im just gonna sneak my racks in like someone said!

Thanks

I guess I'm the posterchild for disobeying your apartment's pet policy...

My apartment's policy says up to 2 pets, cats and small dogs only. Well, I have 4 cats.

I also have 6 snakes.
    And 30+ fish.
    And right now, about 60+ mice.
    And soon to be a breeding trio or rats.

Hopefully I'll be getting a house soon.. lol

Jim
    0.4 Normals (Sugar, Delihla, Luna, Sol)
    1.0 Pastel (Maple)
    1.0 "something special" (Morpheus)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast