Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 697

0 members and 697 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Some breeding season thoughts from the 8 Ball!

Excuse me, but I have a question..

When is the real breeding season for snakes (specifically balls)?
    I mean, in the wild when do the breed, as I had assumed they bred after winter months after their hibernation like period and they laid their eggs in late spring and they hatched in mid summer.

Am I right or way off here? :]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post

Excuse me, but I have a question..

When is the real breeding season for snakes (specifically balls)?
    I mean, in the wild when do the breed, as I had assumed they bred after winter months after their hibernation like period and they laid their eggs in late spring and they hatched in mid summer.

Am I right or way off here? :]
    First of all, Ball Pythons come from a region in Africa that is very close to the equator. Therefore, there is no hibernation occuring. Most of the time, these snakes are breeding in the winter, and laying their eggs just prior to Spring, and hatching throughout Spring. Most females will seek cooler temperatures when their follicles are developing, and hence the winter breeding.

Also, many people believe that the breeding season has evolved to coincide with the rodent boom that occurs in late Spring. More food makes it easier for baby snakes to survive. And survival is instinctual in all species, meaning mom is doing what she can to ensure greater success with her offspring.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Breeding season is upon us and I thought I’d share some pointers and words of encouragement to help ensure everyones breeding success. These are things that I practice and are just helpful little nuggets that I’ve either learned the hard way over the years. I've also included some positive thoughts for all of my Bp.Net friends that will be breeding their animals this season!

1. Re-sex all of your snakes … no matter where you got them from … even if you’ve sexed them yourself in the past … it doesn’t hurt to double check everything. This tip can help save intense frustration … trust me!!!

2. Give all of your animals a good once over … check their overall health and body weight … make sure that their vents are clean and dry, that their mouths show no signs of RI, and that they have adequate body weight for the breeding season.

3. Check to make sure none of your potential breeders are overweight … if they are, consider cutting their food back a little … an animal with an “athletic” build as opposed to a “heavy” build will make a better breeder for you.

4. Double check your mechanicals!! Take the time to test all of your thermometers, thermostats, night drops, timers, etc … sometimes, switches that only flip in the middle of the night and malfunction can go a long while without being noticed. Save yourself some frustration and do a complete “systems check” early on.

5. Give those raise ups some more room! … Since some animals tend to go off feed while they’re breeding and switching an animal into a larger cage can cause it to go off feed for a while, breeding season is the perfect time to move those raise up girls into more spacious tubs. You can kill two birds with one stone!!

6. Make a plan and write it down! … Good record keeping can not only keep your head on straight during the breeding season, but if can be a useful tool in the years ahead.

7. Take notes! … Record everything that you see … sheds, lock ups, positions of pairs in the tubs, etc, etc … especially anything that looks “odd” … what may not make sense to you when you’re just getting started might be extremely helpful as a learning tool once you get some more experience under your belt.

8. Ask questions!! … ask, ask, ask … talk, talk, talk … there is no one “right way” to do anything, so talk to as many people as you can that have your level of experience, more experience than you, and even less experience than you … find out how they do things, what they’ve done that works well, and what they’ve tried that didn’t work well for them. It will only help you find your own “style” in the end.

9. Relax! … As my friend Mic says … “You can’t always get what you want … but if you try sometimes, you just might find … you get what you need!” … Soooo true when it comes to breeding … it never works out perfect, so hope for the best and be excited and grateful for what you do get!

10. Most of all …. HAVE FUN! … That’s what this is all about!

Feel free to jump in with your tips, tricks, hints, or words of encouragment that might help someone to see those awesome little ball python heads popping out of eggs this spring/summer!

-adam

Wow Adam of 8ball pythons is here!! Cool!

Thanks

Thanks for the rundown. I'm hoping to breed in a few years, but I constantly give a look at what is being done differently to figure out how I want to handle it when it is my little ones turns.
    1.0 Normal Ball "Hubert" (617g)
    0.1 Spider Ball "Mary Jane" (280g)
    1.0 Pastel Ball "Malcolm" (coming soon)
    1.0 overweight Boston Terrier "Bandit"

Registered User Mitchels Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile

Awesome advise and i cant wait to see what comes out this year as its my first year breeding ball pythons. Wish me luck!!

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Some breeding season thoughts from the 8 Ball!

killer advice!!!!

0.1 Spider 2.1 Hypo Boa
    1.1 Lesser 1.1 Puccallpa Peruvian Bcc
    1.0 Butter 0.1 Jungle Boa
    1.0 Super pastel 0.1 het albino boa
    1.0 Albino 1.1 Love Line okeetee corns
    0.2 Normal 1.0 ghost corn
    1.1 Sunglow boa 0.1 albino corn
    1.0 anery corn 0.1 snow corn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Breeding season is upon us and I thought I’d share some pointers and words of encouragement to help ensure everyones breeding success. These are things that I practice and are just helpful little nuggets that I’ve either learned the hard way over the years. I've also included some positive thoughts for all of my Bp.Net friends that will be breeding their animals this season!

1. Re-sex all of your snakes … no matter where you got them from … even if you’ve sexed them yourself in the past … it doesn’t hurt to double check everything. This tip can help save intense frustration … trust me!!!

2. Give all of your animals a good once over … check their overall health and body weight … make sure that their vents are clean and dry, that their mouths show no signs of RI, and that they have adequate body weight for the breeding season.

3. Check to make sure none of your potential breeders are overweight … if they are, consider cutting their food back a little … an animal with an “athletic” build as opposed to a “heavy” build will make a better breeder for you.

4. Double check your mechanicals!! Take the time to test all of your thermometers, thermostats, night drops, timers, etc … sometimes, switches that only flip in the middle of the night and malfunction can go a long while without being noticed. Save yourself some frustration and do a complete “systems check” early on.

5. Give those raise ups some more room! … Since some animals tend to go off feed while they’re breeding and switching an animal into a larger cage can cause it to go off feed for a while, breeding season is the perfect time to move those raise up girls into more spacious tubs. You can kill two birds with one stone!!

6. Make a plan and write it down! … Good record keeping can not only keep your head on straight during the breeding season, but if can be a useful tool in the years ahead.

7. Take notes! … Record everything that you see … sheds, lock ups, positions of pairs in the tubs, etc, etc … especially anything that looks “odd” … what may not make sense to you when you’re just getting started might be extremely helpful as a learning tool once you get some more experience under your belt.

8. Ask questions!! … ask, ask, ask … talk, talk, talk … there is no one “right way” to do anything, so talk to as many people as you can that have your level of experience, more experience than you, and even less experience than you … find out how they do things, what they’ve done that works well, and what they’ve tried that didn’t work well for them. It will only help you find your own “style” in the end.

9. Relax! … As my friend Mic says … “You can’t always get what you want … but if you try sometimes, you just might find … you get what you need!” … Soooo true when it comes to breeding … it never works out perfect, so hope for the best and be excited and grateful for what you do get!

10. Most of all …. HAVE FUN! … That’s what this is all about!

Feel free to jump in with your tips, tricks, hints, or words of encouragment that might help someone to see those awesome little ball python heads popping out of eggs this spring/summer!

-adam
    A thousand thank yous!!!!!

Thanks

There is always a debate on how much a female has to weigh before she is primo to breed. I read one thing it says this I read another it says that. My other question is, I would love to prove out one of my rescues but she is 12 yrs old, I believe she is a spotnose fire morph. I'd love to find out. Is 12 yrs old a safe age to breed? I'd love to hear what you guys have to say

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scaleyz View Post
    There is always a debate on how much a female has to weigh before she is primo to breed. I read one thing it says this I read another it says that. My other question is, I would love to prove out one of my rescues but she is 12 yrs old, I believe she is a spotnose fire morph. I'd love to find out. Is 12 yrs old a safe age to breed? I'd love to hear what you guys have to say
    Ball pythons can breed their entire lives.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks
    This is great advice to anyone, especially to newer breeders like myself. 2011 was my first season and I asked a lot of questions. I got a lot of advice, and forums like this are a great source of info no matter what stage of the game you're in. Tip # 10 is my favorite though. You have to "HAVE FUN". Thanks and good luck to everyone this season.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast