Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

1 members and 2,837 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Outdoor Pen

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

New Outdoor Pen

This will be for my blackthroat monitor or the tegus(depending on time of year). I already have a 8x8ft outside pen that they all love(not together!). I'll build a new hotbox so that during colder weather they can stay in it(the tegus SHOULD be hibernating during the cold season).

Here's the first pics. This used to be for cats, rescued cats that were outdoor only/ferals. Once they had shots and were fixed, they went into here, and eventually were adopted out. Finally done with the kitties, I decided it would do as a lovely outdoor pen.
    From outside the front gate:

From inside the pen:

Since these first pics this morning, I've cleared all the weed growth, and removed all the junk, including the posts. Now I will pick up the rolls of wire tomorrow, to start running the walls first. I also took down the "door/gate" totally, as I will be rebuilding it.
    The plan is for this to be wired completely, no climbing or digging out. The mulch will be about 2 foot deep, and the gate will be only 5 ft tall, to counter the 2 foot threshold(to keep the mulch in). Then I can 'landscape' it.

Edit: I forgot it's 20ft by 22ft and 7ft tall.
    Last edited by wolfy-hound; 11-12-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: forgetfulness
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

yedister (04-12-2009)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New Outdoor Pen

Wow thats great. I love that you gave them a Yorkie to play with.

LOL

No it looks great.. Good job.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

that looks great! how much did all that chicken wire cost. have been wantin to do something like that for my iguana for years. ikm just worried about the $price$.
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python, 0.1.0 Albino Ball Python, 1.0.0 Spider Ball Python, 0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0.0 Sorong Type Green Tree Python, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog,

Thanks

Haha, actually I have 5 yorkies, plus the poodle mix you see in the other pic, and an Old English Sheepdog too. The tegus love to look at the dogs, while the monitor loves to glare at them.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Estimate on the wire needed is under $200. The wire that is on there NOW is NOT chicken wire, and NOT suitable(which is why I'm re-wiring it).
    The estimate is from Lowe's, and is for enough wire to do a 20 x 22 x 7ft pen top, bottom, and sides. In 50 ft rolls. The actual amount was right at $180 I believe. 300ft of 4ft wire, and 100ft of 3ft wire.

The estimate does not include the lumber I'll need for the new door, or the mulch, etc. That's just the wire.
    My 8x8ft pen was about $200 total for all the lumber, plywood, wire etc. I have pics of that too, up on here, you can search and find it I'm sure.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA

Thanks

how much did it cost for the wiring, wood, supplyies and everything all to gether just to build the enclosre.
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python, 0.1.0 Albino Ball Python, 1.0.0 Spider Ball Python, 0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0.0 Sorong Type Green Tree Python, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog,

Thanks

Honestly I have not done a whole lot of research on tegus, but was wondering what times of the year would you let them out there and for how long?? I really want to have at least one tegu someday, I just need to get a bigger house with more room first and to fully research them as well of course ... And to build something like that as well would be very nice!!
    You'll have to post pics of it once you are done! I am sure that it will be awesome!!
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

I couldn't tell you how much the posts cost, since I got those about 20 years ago. They've just been moved from one use to another. LOL. I'm frugal.
    The wire costs are above.
    The tegus should be fine outside to fairly low temps. I'm in florida, so we don't get the deep freezes like up north. I can take them inside if it gets super low. Same as I did for Moggie the monitor last year. That's of course, IF they don't go into hibernation.
    Here is the thread with the 8x8ft pen pics and instructions.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=37503
    And for the record, the wood is fine, over a year later, not a bit of rot or weakness, despite the monitor and 3 tegus using it in turn.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA

Thanks

Thats awesome Wolfy, I hope to build an outdoor enclosure for my Savannah once we move next year. Make sure you update and let us know how they like it.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

Thanks for posting the link to the outdoor enclosure you built last year, it looks great!! I have one other question, though. I was wondering what type of wire you used for the enclosure and what type of wire you are using for the one that you are currently building? I read through both of the threads at least twice, and didn't see that it was named. Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks again for posting these threads!!
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast