Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

2 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

keeping crickets alive..

ok, so whats the trick?!

how do you have your crickets set up, how often and what do you feed them? I have always been good at killing plants but crickets are coming in close second. my supplier says i should be able to keep them alive for several weeks but they just arent living!!

I currently have a tupperware type tub (fairly large) with lots of holes in the lid, wehave tried two different types of containers, one with slits in the lid and those died faster than with holes, was using newspaper or paper towel for substrate, feeding the cricket gut load, also feeding that gel stuff as well as large chunks of apple or potato. we have lots of egg carton and other hiding spots and yet they are all dying within days. its cooler out right now and we have tried keeping them outside and inside and still they keep dying!

*so what should i be using for substrate? (can i use yesterdays news? the same stuff i use for the rats so i dont have to buy new stuff)
    *what do you feed yours, what do you use for hydration
    *how long can you typically keep yours alive?

Thanks

Re: keeping crickets alive..

Ventilation is key...

I would use screen for the lid....cut out the center piece of the lid and replace it with a window screen...should be able to pick it up at HD.

I did keep newspaper on the bottom of the tub...then the egg cartons ontop of that... Made it really pretty easy to clean...and once a month I'd do a complete cleanout and bleaching.
    Last edited by jknudson; 11-09-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: whoops...EDIT.
    Jason

Thanks

I think you may need some heat. also check this link http://skylab.org/~chugga/cricket/

Richard
    Richard Go Red Wings
    Ball Pythons
    0.5 Normals
    1.0 Pastel
    1.1 Het Albino
    1.0 50% Pos Het Pied
    1.0 Spider

Thanks

thank you thank you...

jballpython: i had read some online about needing more ventalation, we will go to home depot this weekend

halfdawg: we live in south florida, its "fall" here but our temps havnt gotten colder than 70s lately.. and lately meaning last couple days, other wise we are in the mid 80s, we have a balcony that gets some sun so im sure it gets warmer than that even

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdawg View Post
    I think you may need some heat. also check this link http://skylab.org/~chugga/cricket/

Richard
    Richard, that's a great link . . . . thanks!
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

definitley use screen for the lid. i don't use any substrate in my cricket bin--it gets dumped and refilled about once every 2 weeks or as i feed off all the crickets. i keep mine indoors where temps are 75-78 year round and they do fine (although they do require warmer temps for breeding). if you keep them outside just watch out for bugs and things getting into the bin--flies will lay eggs on dead crickets and then you get a mess of maggots--yum!
    - Emily

Thanks

I have 2 of those cricket keepers from PetCo (Yeah i know, LoL). Anyways, the smaller keeper i keep 100 small crickets at a time in it (for my baby beardie). The larger keeper i keep 50 crickets at a time in it for my older beardie. I feed them greens (just sprinkle some in the bottom) and i also use a water pillow so they can get water. They last me about 2 or 3 days before i have to go get more. But i have a bait and tackle shop by my house, so i can get crickets dirt cheap. If i house too many crickets, they tend to die because theres just too many in the houses.....Just my 2 cents....=-)