Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

2 members and 3,013 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

My Feeder Euthanizer (DIY CO2 chamber)

I finally started breeding rats, so I decided to build a “Kill Box” of sorts. I started with this Styrofoam container. It’s not a cooler, it’s a container that was originally used to ship steaks. (Don’t ask, lol).

I started out by cutting a small opening in the lid, enough so I can see everywhere inside (so I can make sure all occupants have been euthanized.) I drilled the four corners of the square and cut it out with a small hand saw.

After that I glued a small piece of clear plastic packaging over the hole to act as a sort of window. I sealed it with silicone to make sure no CO2 leaks out when it’s in operation.

For CO2 delivery I used a paintball canister. I like the dry ice method but the only place I can get dry ice around here is a long drive and really it’s just cheaper for me to go to Canadian Tire and get my paintball tank filled. My original plan was to use a ‘remote’ for CO2 but for $55 at my local paintball store that wasn’t happening. All I needed was a way to release the gas, and a way to channel it into a piece of aquarium tubing. So I bought a ‘universal fill adapter’ from the paintball store.

The fill adapter works by screwing on top of the CO2 canister and you twister the knob at the top and the CO2 comes out the hole in the side. So I found a way to get the CO2 out, now I need a way to get it in the aquarium tubing. I located this nifty little device on an aquarium supplies website. (www.mops.ca)

Now this thing, screws into the side of the fill adapter. Then I put a piece of tubing on the ‘barb’ which is that part jutting out the side with the rings around it.

I then drilled a hole in one side and inserted a piece of tubing.

I attached the tubing to the tank as shown above. I siliconed around the tubing on the outside and inside of the chamber. The chamber isn’t absolutely air tight of course, once the CO2 begins flowing the air is pushed up and out around the lid. And that is it, its ready to euthanize.

I know this seems a little over complicated but that’s just the way I do things. I really enjoyed making this and it didn’t cost very much. On a final note, I just wanted to give credit to my dad, who funded this operation, and did most of the work on it. Hopefully this helps anyone who needed clarification of how to build a device like this. If anything doesn't make sense just ask about it here or PM me.

Thanks for checking this out, and hopefully it wasn’t a waste of your time .

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter Williams For This Useful Post:

adamjeffery (08-17-2011),Aedryan Methyus (11-03-2020),BFE Pets (11-14-2012),DNACurtusK (01-15-2013),NicolasWSOP (02-04-2009),Ridinandreptiles (10-25-2011),Zenllama (06-13-2010)

Thanks

Re: My Feeder Euthanizer

Fantastic write up!!

Thanks

Thanks Nate!

Thanks

Have you tried it out yet?

How much does it cost to fill your canister?

How long does it take for the rats to pass out?

Nice write up, i'm going to try this method! NO more dry ice baby!
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

well done.. although i do have a question. are you using pressure to keep lid on to keep co2 in? i would think it would cause the lid to come open.. just a thought

Thanks

This actually is untested at the moment, but the first "execution date" is set at Nov 8th and hopefully I will be able to answer those questions afterwards. The only question I can answer is how much to fill my tank. I have two 9 Oz tanks and it costs about $3 to fill each.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pwilliams58 View Post
    This actually is untested at the moment, but the first "execution date" is set at Nov 8th and hopefully I will be able to answer those questions afterwards. The only question I can answer is how much to fill my tank. I have two 9 Oz tanks and it costs about $3 to fill each.

Keep us posted when you do it...............
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Hey great DIY, can you use any container, or did you use styrofoam because you had it laying around?

Thanks

You could probably use any container that you'd be willing to drill a hole into, but I used this specifically because after a while, it's gonna get soiled, and its pretty darn cheap to replace it.

Thanks

Very nice.
    I think the Mods should make this a Sticky
    Mitch

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast