Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,481

0 members and 3,481 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

were getting red eye tree frogs..

aside from a couple caresheets any tricks of the trade i should know?

what do you house yours in? how many per enclosure?
    any pictures you care to share?

we have about a month before we add them but i always like to be ready

Thanks

Re: were getting red eye tree frogs..

http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/a...-tree-frog.php
    that seems like a good one but im not sure it covers everything. i have always wanted either retf or dart frogs but i think the retf wins it by a landslide. i have my breeder working with his buddy to get a couple nice vibrant ones... the breeder has them imported is that good/bad... he also knows of a breeder but they arent as easy to get ahold of... either way we plan to keep an eye out this weekend at the expo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

if at all possible get cbb frogs. imports are so hard to acclimate and many times die within a few months. i kept red eyes for a while and in my experience 1 out of every 2 i got died shortly after i got them (they were all imports). the ones that made it did great and grew into healthy, hardy frogs, but the stress of importing and acclimating is just too stressful for many of them (not to mention that imports tend to be full of parasites). one day i'd like to start up another colony of them, but this time i will only buy cbb frogs.

i looked at that care sheet and it looks pretty good, but i will mention a few things. it states 5 gallons per adult frog--this should really be more like 10 gallons. IMO a 10 gallon tank turned vertically is fine for a single adult but not for a pair. they appreciate more space, especially vertical space and will use all that you give them.

humidity around 50% is fine for them. too high is actually detrimental. for some reason it is believed that high humidity is necessary for red eyes, but 50% with good ventilation is ideal.

clean, dechlorinated water must be available at all times. the water should not be deeper than the frog's shoulders or the frog could drown. it is a good idea to have something in the water dish that the frog can use to help himself climb out of it--i have used rocks and vines from surrounding plants extended into the water. it is also very important to clean the water every day, as frogs defecate in the water while they soak in it.

i think that's about all you need to know that the caresheet didn't cover, but if you think of anything else just ask.
    - Emily

Thanks

awesome!! thanks, that was very helpful. i could always start with just one and see how it goes. i did mentain my fears of parasites to the breeder so he knows where i stand with that. i would hate to spend money on an animal that is riddled with disease. Are there any live plants i could put in with a tree frog and specifically what kind and is it preferred or am i better off getting fake, what type of substrate would YOU use?.. i would like to get something set up before bringing one home obviously. i will keep an eye out this weekend (my homework, per the breeder i work with) and see if i can find some cb retf.. maybe i will get lucky. he did say that the retf run about $22 each, either cb or wc does that sound right?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

they usually run $20-25 per frog depending on size.

i used bed-a-beast bedding which is a coconut coir bedding. every so often i would spray it down and mix it up to keep some moisture in it because it does dry out over time.

pothos work well, as do tropical type plants. there was one plant in particular that i used that they loved--i'm about to go to dinner but i'll try to remember what it was exactly and post it.
    - Emily

Thanks

as always, thank you!!

Thanks

http://www.buywholefrogs.com/frogcare.html
    awesome caresheet!

also we will start with getting just one and see how it does but in the event we got another one (two) what are the fears and chances of them breeding.. i assume its difficult to sex them isnt it? i wouldnt want a female to get egg bound, do things work that way with them?
    Last edited by ADEE; 11-03-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks

info on plants.. great link with loads of other info!
    http://www.froggyville.com/petcarered.htm
    When selecting plants for your frogs new home it is a good idea to try and get plants that grow in it's natural environment. Some plants can be toxic or harmful to your species of frog so be careful when choosing them. The best solution is to talk to your local pet store clerk, talk to people who have kept the same species of frog or check with one of the many sites on the internet that sell them. We offer this resource as a guide to some of the more common plants that are fairly easy to take care of and based on our own experience with our Red Eyed Tree Frogs and what we have in their home.

Aluminum Plant
    These plants not only provide a great place for your frog to sleep because of their big wide leaves but also provide an excellent place for them to climb and get off the ground. These plants tend to grow fairly tall and you may notice them outgrowing your frog's home very quickly. The best thing to do if you find the leaves growing up and bending down, because they have reached the top of your tank, is to just cut them off at the stem. You will soon notice new stems growing out of where the old ones were. An occasional spraying does not hurt. We have found these plants to be very hard wearing and have not noticed any wilting or leaf discoloration in their present environment. If you are using our habitat setup method regular watering is not necessary as the water in the tank will be enough.

Philodendron
    There are many different types of Philodendron. Some of these plants are native to South America and are ideal for our Red Eyed Tree Frogs. However, the Philodendron family of plants are considered poisonous towards certain pets and even people if digested. They tend to grow fairly quickly and their big wide leaves provide an excellent place for your frog to sleep. They need a good source of light. If you notice the leaves looking wilted or curling up either pick them off and a new one should shortly grow back in its place or rearrange them so that the wilted discolored leaves get more light. An occasional spraying is a good idea. If you are using our habitat setup method regular watering is not necessary as the water in the tank will be enough for them to grow.

Palm
    There are a large variety of palms. We found the small potted palms are great for our frogs. Certain types of palm will not provide a good place for them to sleep, it depends on the size of the leaves. We bought palms with smaller leaves which give them a place to climb and get off the ground. They are a very attractive plant and will look good in your frog's home. An occasional spraying to help the leaves stay green is a good idea otherwise the leaves may darken and eventually die, if this happens just pick them off. If you are using our habitat setup method regular watering is not necessary as the water in the tank will be enough for them to flourish.

Moss
    Our Red Eyed Tree Frogs did not like the longer type of moss that you can buy in plastic bags at pet stores, they tried very hard not to come in contact with it. We removed the moss and they seemed a lot happier. They started to spend more time on the ground when hunting for food and exploring. We suggest using a moss that is soft and has very short leaves, similar to the type found in your yard. It is not a good idea to use plants from your yard because you do not know what parasites or chemicals are on them. As long as moss is kept damp it will do pretty well in your frogs home. One way of doing this is by spraying it with water each day.

Remember before you purchase your plants you should ask if any pesticides or chemicals have been used on them. They could be very toxic and fatal for your frog. A good idea is to wash them thoroughly before you place them in your frog's new home, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/c...dtreefrog.html
    another link.. sorry for all the stuff, i just figured if im looking someone else will at some point

enclosure related
    http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/a...terrarium.html