Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

2 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How hard is it to deal with large snakes?

I would go with a Common boa(BCI) or a Super Dwarf Reticulated. My female boa is about 3 years old and is 8ft and 25lbs. She's a handful of muscle and when she wants to go somewhere, she'll go.

Super Dwarf retics are nice because they still have the Retic personality, but not the size. They get maybe 5-8ft(right?) and are long and lanky, not as girthy as a boa.

So.. You don't necessarily HAVE to get a full grown Afrock, Burmese, Reticulated, etc. There are tons of other species of larger snakes, that don't get AS large.

Look in to Morelia, Liasis species. They get "robust" but not exceedingly large where they would take up half of a bedroom
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJP7 View Post
    I would even want something more than my female fiance around to help you as well... Trying to move a 100lb snake is not easy and if something goes wrong no offense but its going to take a lot more than a girl to help get the snake off...

what does it matter the sex if she's physically fit? yes, it's a fact that men are usually stronger than women but have you met his fiance? do you know that she's a hundred pounds and really weak? if the two of them feel that they can handle this snake together, with confidence, does it matter that she's female?
    Last edited by JLC; 11-01-2007 at 08:39 AM. Reason: fixed quote box
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree with python princess-it doesn't matter if she is a female or not as long as she knows how to get the snake off if it bites. My husband does handle our burms once they hit 12 to 13 feet and I do help but if you know what you're doing then gender should not make a difference.
    We love keeping the large snakes-they are lots of work, they do eat-ALOT, they do take up large quanities of room, but we love them.

Thanks

Our largest is our albino burm who is around 10 ft now. We also have 2 other burms and two retics. My wife if fully capable of helping me with the snakes and would have no problem with the 10 ft female by herself. She will actually sit with the large snakes by herself while I clean out the cages.

Saying that a female is not capable of handling a large snake is stupid. I know for a fact that burmmamma handles large burms all the time with and without her husband and would be capable of helping her husband if something did go wrong. It isn't a matter of strength it is a matter of knowing how to get a snake to let go.

Thanks

I'm just curious how do you get a snake off? What would you do if it bites and constricts? I am just curious.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burmmamma View Post
    I agree with python princess-it doesn't matter if she is a female or not as long as she knows how to get the snake off if it bites. My husband does handle our burms once they hit 12 to 13 feet and I do help but if you know what you're doing then gender should not make a difference.
    We love keeping the large snakes-they are lots of work, they do eat-ALOT, they do take up large quanities of room, but we love them.

Agreed.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

<----- feelin the love! and here i thought i was just being oversensitive again...
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

My fiance is probably more capable of handling large snakes than I am. I am only 5' though I have some weight to throw around. My fiance is 5'8. I don't think it matters what sex you are.

I would love to have some of the smaller species, like a red-tail or something. Big snakes are out of my league but maybe in the far future we might be ready for one. Who knows. I'm glad so many people have replied. Its nice to hear about what its really like with the big species. For now, I am content with my ball pythons and colubrids.
    Under Construction.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    I'm just curious how do you get a snake off? What would you do if it bites and constricts? I am just curious.
    warm water to start-my husband has drug a big burm from the snake room to the bathtub(too big for pitcher of water)-and we have pored warm water from a pitcher we keep in the room. then if that does not work a spray of Listerine in the face will work almost everytime. last resort would be alcohol or liquor. I am not trying to scare someone who wants a large snake but bites do happen-we have had a couple of bites but nothing major and we have never injured one of our burms in getting them to let go.

Thanks

You have the risk of bites no matter what you keep. I recieved my first bite from my corn snake a few weeks ago and just yesterday I got bit by a ball python hatchling. I was startled at first but now its not a big deal. I've gotten over the shock of a bite from a small snake. Now a bite from a bigger snake is a whole other story, though there is a first time for everything.

I'm really starting to lean towards red-tailed boas or some of the smaller python species that are still bigger than a ball python.
    Under Construction.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast