Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

1 members and 3,259 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: setup pics??

Thanks

setup pics??

Kennyxemerson started a thread a while back asking for pictures of setups for carpets. It was a long thread but ended up mostly about the different kinds of carpets.

I would love to see any pictures of other setups for carpets if anybody has some.

Here is a picture of an older version of Chewie's (JCP) setup:

And here is something resembling his current one. There is a hide to the left - which is the cool side:

The problem is that this sort of super-sized BP layout doesn't feel right for him. Usually he stays in the warm side for a day or two after eating or after being handled. Then, he'll go to the cool side and just stay. Also, he *never* crawls on the ground so I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for hides and such that are integrated with his branches.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

Re: setup pics??

I dont have a Morelia yet but yours seems to like the branches!
    Nice looking enclosure you are sporting!
    When you figure out how to make a hide in the branches, let us know! I wanna seeeee!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

Thanks

Thanks. The tank was a fixer-upper that I got for a mere $30. I bought the wire mesh top and had to fix up/ cover a bunch of big chips in the glass along the corners.

I'm also really happy with the branches I got for him. I go back and forth on whether or not to use the air pump to aerate his water dish.

Its the hide thing that I'm really not happy with yet. I kind of want to integrate the idea from bhmorril (www.australianaddiction.com) and make some sort of litte tree-houses for him.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

no pics yet, but my adult cages basically consist of a hide on each side and large (4 inch?) branch going lengthwise down the middle. the water dish sits in the middle... the females get 5'x2'x2' cages and the males get 4'x2'x2'.

Thanks

what temps do you run at? Do you find you get much movement between the two hides?
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

ambient is from like 88 hot to maybe 77 cold, room temp is 73-77 depending on the time of year... basking spot is probably a little over 90 i would guess. i dont pay too much attention with carpets, i just made sure things dont get too hot.
    they move around, just depends. i think after they eat they stay on the warm side for a couple days and then they spend a lot of time on the cool side. different snakes do different things though too. i have one that always sits in the basking spot and i have two that almost never go in the warm hide. i have two also that almost always use their perch and the rest only use it from time to time... hope that helps!

Thanks

thanks!

my warm side is a bit hotter - low 90's. I need to tweak the balance a bit because if I try to bring it down to high 80's the cool side gets too low.

Then again, I'm not sure because I think he's got ways to tune his temps on the warm side. Thinks like changing the tightness of his coils. Also, he can separate from the substrate by laying partically on the branches.

One thing I'm thinking of is tacking flaps of rolled cork or perhaps garland to the branches. If I could make it more secure at various places along the branches then he would practically have access to anything from room temp to high 90's.

Hmmmm.....
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

It's not the prettiest of cage setups, but I like it. This is a boaphile cage setup. This is my female, my male is set up the same way. Heating is done through flexwatt belly heat and a radiant heat panel in "end" side. It turned out that radiant heat panel alone wasn't producing quite enough heat so the flexwatt was added later. (The hide pictured has been changed to a larger one).

I also had florescent lights put in both cages, although I rarely turn the lights on. She hangs out on the perch like this all the time.

The florescent light is on in this picture, so she looks more yellow.

I only keep one hide and a waterbowl in each cage. Both snakes tend to push the hides around to different areas of the cage though.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959