Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

2 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Exclamation Not starting.... i'm going to b worried.

Hello everyone!
    I'm here writing to you because i have a problem with my ball pythons. I have a 06 male spider ball that is 1120 grams and halty and 3 adult females that are between 1600 and 1900 grams they are 3,4 and 7 years old. One of them already layed eggs. I started cycling them in the end of october and now temps are 82 during the day and 72 in the night with a 10/14 day/night. Ok... noww... i introduced a female into the male's cage one week ago but they totally ignored eachother like you'll put together two females (the male is male, i'm sure... it has also sperm plugs right now) i left them together for 2 days but nothing. They are moving like mad all the night and resting all the day but not interested. So i waited 4 days and now i put another female but freshly shed but the male is totally uninterested even in her. I misted them a bit in the evening but nothing. What's wrong with them? Is that normal at the beginning? Is it too early for to start breeding? May be i have to wait more than one month since the beginning of cycling... cycling temps are at regime are set up only since a week before introducing them the first time. Can there be a problem if the male is never bred in his life... some difficult to start? Did you have had the same situation? Must i worry or it's normal? I've bred carpet pythons and many colubrids and never encountered such behaviour....
    I would be very happy to have your help!

Flavio

Thanks

Re: Not starting.... i'm going to b worried.

It is still VERY early. Only one of my males started breeding so far. IMO your daytime and night time temps are too low. How warm do you usually keep them when not breeding. I keep my daytime temps at about 93 on the hot spot all year round. In breeding season I lower the warm side at night to about 80 but during the day it goes back up to 93. IMO you are asking for an RI with the temps you are at now. They really don't need such a drastic cool down.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

And yes, not all males are great breeders in their first season, but I would not start worrying yet.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

How much does the male weigh? I only ask because I tried breeding my '05 male Spider last year and had no luck. Now that he is 2 this year, he has already locked up with one of my females. Maybe he is not ready yet? Is he producing sperm plugs?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    How much does the male weigh? I only ask because I tried breeding my '05 male Spider last year and had no luck. Now that he is 2 this year, he has already locked up with one of my females. Maybe he is not ready yet? Is he producing sperm plugs?
    I have a 06 male spider ball that is 1120 grams

Thanks

I am down South here in Houston, Texas... and all of the snakes I have paired up have locked already. I wouldn't say that it is too early in the year. Perhaps either your females aren't interested, or your male just doesn't know what to do yet... The same thing happened with my pastel male last year and he was right at 1000 grams. It's really hard to say what exactly is happening... just keep pairing and keep trying. Perhaps move your male through the females' cages instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Python2000 View Post
    it has also sperm plugs right now
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com