Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

5 members and 2,866 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

i wanna know more about yellow ackies

any helpful links?
    im going to try googling now but the info offered here is always so amazing!

http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/471.html
    this seems a bit extensive, how accurate is it?
    Last edited by ADEE; 10-21-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks

Re: i wanna know more about yellow ackies

Proexotics has some good information about ackies. http://www.proexotics.com/care_ackie.html

I really dislike caresheets for monitors though. It is better to understand the basics and build upon that by watching the animals. Too many people try to follow the specifics of a caresheet instead of 'listening' to the animal.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Your post brings up a question, Daniel. Hypothetically, for a new monitor owner, what would you suggest as far as care of a monitor (ie Yellow Ackies)? You say to "understand the basics and then build upon that by watching the animal", it may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by that exactly?

I have been looking a little into Yellow Ackies due to your suggestion in your Storrs Monitors thread. I might just have to get one sometime but probably not until sometime next year . But that's okay, still have quite a bit to learn and things to get ready!! Thank you for the suggestion though!!
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
    Your post brings up a question, Daniel. Hypothetically, for a new monitor owner, what would you suggest as far as care of a monitor (ie Yellow Ackies)? You say to "understand the basics and then build upon that by watching the animal", it may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by that exactly?
    These are some of the basics that I include as part of my care....I am still learning everyday....alot left to learn and the monitors are my best teachers....so these 'basics' is kinda fluid....not static and fixed.

I make sure each is provided with a basking spot of 130-150 deg F, a warm side temp of 85-90 deg. F, a cool side temp of 75-80 deg. F, a warm dry area, a cool dry area, a warm damp area, and a cool damp area. If a female is in the enclosure, a nesting site is provided.

I manage my enclosures and husbandry to provide those basics. But the way that I provide those basics varies across my collection and the monitors use the 'tools' that I provide for them in different ways. For example....If the monitors do not use a nesting box that I provide, then I get a new one or change the existing one....Maybe I did not have the right substrate in the nesting box, maybe it was too wet, maybe it was too dry, maybe it was too hot, maybe they had access to those conditions somewhere else in the enclosure so they ignored this box....so many questions, but only the monitors know the answers....it is a fun game to play...I like the challenge

People have success with many different methods. So always ask people "Why limit yourself to what is on one caresheet?" Too many people set things up one way because they read it on a caresheet, figure it 'works', then keep the animal like that until it dies. Where is the fun in that?

I currently keep my monitors in 4 different ways......they all do well, but I notice different behaviors from animals kept a certain way....it is interesting to compare them to each other....all kinds of personalities....all sorts of different behaviors...

I always say monitors are a 'thinking man's reptile'. They are complex, smart reptiles that have unlimited potential if provided the opportunity to thrive.

Hopefully that answers your questions....if not, let me know...ha ha...
    -Daniel Hill

Thanks

Thank you for answering my question!!! If I could give you any more rep at the moment I would, but I have to spread some more around first!! But thank you for the awesome answer.

You answer is what I thought that you meant. Basically it is like keeping any animal, finding out what makes your particular animal happy, finding out how to make the most of your particular animals habitat/enclosure.

Okay one more question to throw out there (for anyone to answer).
    What is a good resource to find out more about yellow ackies in the wild? (anything besides caresheets..) Does anyone know of any good websites or books that talk about yellow ackies more in depth, to know more about the animals in general as opposed to how to care for them? Using google I just seem to get a bunch of either caresheets or sales listings for them.
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

There is not a whole lot of informaiton out there (compared to other reptiles), but if you look around there is some pretty decent info. There are also several books, but most repeat the same information.

Here are a few sites to check out:
    http://www.jcu.edu.au/school/tbiol/z...acanthurus.PDF
    http://www.mampam.com/index.php?opti...d=24&Itemid=76
    http://www.monitor-lizards.net/index4.html

The information concerning their native environment is great...but be careful of some of the information out there concerning how they are in captivity. Alot of the information is outdated(but some still works), so it is always good to check dates on what is written and compare to newer information.
    -Daniel Hill