Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,852

0 members and 2,852 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

art school thoughts?

So.. I am actually toying with the idea of taking art classes. A local community college offers them and is a stone's throw away from my work; it'd be sweet if i could arrange for classes before work, etc. And my work offers tuition reimbursements; something I plan on looking into.
    See, this is my problem. I LOVE painting, drawing.. I like acrylics, etc. And I even like dabbling in sculpture. But, everytime I try to set aside home-time for it, something stupid comes up like the need to do a ton of laundry.. dishewasher needs loading..
    So, how are regular art classes for creating more of a structure for your artwork, to those that attend(ed) them?
    Last edited by Ginevive; 10-20-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: I speld thangs wrongg :/
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: art school thoughts?

My best friend is a graphic design major and she's taking all art classes right now. She has 10 sketches due per week for one teacher, but they can be any old doodle. Then she'll have occasional major projects and things, but all in all it's not too overwhelming from what I can gather. Most of the art is actually done in class.

I'm sure if you were taking a class and your grade depended on your art output, that you'd find time to do what you needed. Plus, you get a head start and get ideas in class.

Hopefully someone with FIRST HAND knowledge will come along soon. If nothing else, art classes are always fun to take just for the experience.

Thanks

I was thinking of that.. I really need something to "light a fire" under me and get oe to move on with creating work! I think that the structure of classes would help in that way. One problem I had back in HS art was, I would go off-topic on drawing, etc.. they would say th draw a chair, and I would find myself dawing the chair; the table; flowers on the table.. a dog lying down..birds out a window. lol. But I had teachers that encouraged that.. high school is the limit on my art-schoo experience thus far.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I not an art major, but I take art classes for fun almost every semester. It really does help you find time for your artwork... I need deadlines set to get anything done. If you enjoy art, remember that some of the lessons are going to be boring, but they're also very useful. For example, an in-class exercise of drawing a vase for a couple of hours is horribly boring, but it improves your grasp of lighting/shadow/perspective/etc. If you want to improve as an artist, art classes are the way to go. Some people hate them because you're forced to draw stuff other than what you like... but that's what improves you. For example, I couldn't draw backgrounds until I started taking classes where I was forced to draw them. If nothing else, just continuous drawing assignments will make you better by practice/habit alone. Then in your free time you can apply what you learned and do whatever you like.

Thanks

Classes definitely help with structure and making you get cracking, I really miss my life drawing classes and would love to take more. Color theory, life drawing, perspective... all very helpful classes. I think you should go for it. I think you'd enjoy it too, especially if you get a fun teacher.
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

I think art classes are fun, as well as being around a few other artists during class.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

I just bit the bullet I start school to be a grapic designer with a degree in visual communications in two weeks.At first I wasn't sure If I could do it either but I looked at my job and I thought about what makes me happy an decided to run with it.