Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 873

1 members and 872 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Kingsnake

Thanks

Kingsnake

Can anybody tell me the temperment of a cali. kingsnake because i always get mixed reviews, people telling me there wonerful and other people telling me there a bit nippy.

Thanks

Re: Kingsnake

If I'm not mistaken, my fiance's king is a Cali King. He is a nervous little snake and has bitten on one occasion. One you hold him for a bit, he calms down though. And that instance of a bite was when my fiance reached in the tank right after holding his dinner and Spencer's first thought was "Lunch!" so it was completely human error.

I think it all depends on the individual snake, but I have heard that kings tend to musk a lot.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

I have a Cali king, a Florida king and a Mexican Black king, and they all have VERY similar personalities... Doorstop!

They're very sweet, very docile snakes. My Florida is a little more shy than my Cali... My Cali is the laziest of the group... My new MBK is VERY shy, but he's a baby. All kings seem to be incredibly curious about everything.

My cali has occasionally pooed on people in a fit of "Get away from me!" but don't think he, or any of them ever musked... unless for some reason I didn't notice the smell. I'd think it would be rather noticeable, yes?

Ah, I don't know if that helped or not, but I'm trying hard not to fully hijack this thread with long and pointless stories about the cute things my snakes have done in their time with me. I'll save the cooing for another thread!
    Amarin Astarte | Serval@Large
    http://www.peatrax.com

1.0 High White Aberrant Cali King <Voodoo> | 1.0 Lavender Florida King <Rhybahn> | 1.0 MBK <Ochoa>
    1.2 Peafowl <Elton, Amy, Josephine> | 1.2 Silver Phoenix <Houin, Kouyou, Soleil>
    0.3.1 Pharaoh Quail <Lady Godiva (Tibetan), Unnamed (Tuxedo), Nefertari (Italian), Unnamed (Normal)>
    2.0 Button Quail <Halfpint (Normal), Royale (Red-breast)> | The Zebra Finch Collective | 20 gal fishtank | 1.0 Crowntail Betta

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

When very young they will tend to musk, they can also bite if restrained but will grow out of this rather quickly with regular handling sessions.

Once used to their owner they calm down and make great pet snakes.

Also Kings are very active and move faster than other snakes which can make them harder to handle especially for younger children.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

It does depend on the individual.. but they can be little brats.

I have 4 cali kings. 3 out of 4 have bitten me. My one who I've had longest (4 years I think now) hasn't bitten in a long time.. he's my buddy now, but he went up my mom's sleeve and bit her once!

I have a pair that I bought as adults 2 years ago.. sometimes they will fly out of their tubs with mouths open, I handle them with gloves.

My newest once I've only had a few weeks. She's an adult, but appears to be quite docile.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/