Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,633

3 members and 1,630 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Cypress mulch vs. dirt

When considering a monitor one of the things that concerns me most is weight of the enclosure. 2ft of dirt in a 8x3 enclosure would be quite heavy and I'd never be able to move. While dirt is preferred, what about cypress? I have two questions about it. Given the same volume, how much lighter is cypress than dirt and my second question is, does the entire floor of the enclosure need to be suitable for burrowing? In other words, what if I had a 8x3 enclosure but only 4x3 was dirt/cypress? The rest could be used for hides, water bowls, etc.

Thanks

Re: Cypress mulch vs. dirt

What type of monitor are you keeping? How many are you keeping? Are your plans to breed the monitors?

It all makes a difference, so what are your plans?

Why is the weight a concern? I know of several people that put all their troughs/enclosures on top of a framed platform with castor wheels so that they can move it across the floor if needed.

Cypress is may not be ideal for a given situation. It really depends on the animals you keep and your goals with those animals.

Here is a decent writeup from Pro-exotics on their substrate: http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ2.html#19
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

I've read the PE writeup a hundred times. They're using a decomposed granite that I can get locally. They seem to be ok with cypress for some purposes and I believe cypress will hold a burrow which is the point.

I plan on most likely keeping a Savannah. I do not plan on doing any breeding or keeping more than one. I'd really like an Ionides but they're space requirements are unrealistic for me. I do not want Ackies. It has nothing to do with cost, it has more to do with the fact that they bore me. If I were to get something so uninteresting to me I'd get a bearded dragon. I've seen and handled all of the above and my favorite was the Ionides followed by a Savannah (yes, I know all about the importing vs. captive bred and I have a source for CB Savannahs).

I am concerned about weight in case I want to move eventually. Dismantling the enclosure and moving 1000lbs of dirt is not my idea of a good time. I live on the second floor in a condo. Also due to where I want the monitor in my house a one piece 8xAnything container will not make the corner into the room.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwarriner
    If I were to get something so uninteresting to me I'd get a bearded dragon.

I wouldent call a bearded dragon 'uninteresting', and not just because I have one. They have lots of personality, and if your talking about dull colors then look at morphs. Uninteresting, to me personaly anyway, is an animal with no personality what so ever, that you never see (because its hidden), and that you cant handle.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

It's just an opinion. I want a monitor because it's impressive to look at due to its size. You can say what you will about that specific preference but it's mine to decide.

Thanks

I plan on most likely keeping a Savannah. I do not plan on doing any breeding or keeping more than one.
    Than you don't really need a deep soil in my opinion. I would put two inches of soil or cypress in the bottom.

Soil is used for four main reasons: temperature regulation, humidity regulation, egg nesting, and a hiding area.

However, if you can develop other means to provide those requirement such as humid hides, nesting boxes, etc. you will do just fine with one animal.

But personally, I think the monitors like the soil. You see alot more behaviors when the monitor have soil to burrow into and move around the enclosure.

I'd really like an Ionides but they're space requirements are unrealistic for me. I do not want Ackies. It has nothing to do with cost, it has more to do with the fact that they bore me. If I were to get something so uninteresting to me I'd get a bearded dragon. I've seen and handled all of the above and my favorite was the Ionides followed by a Savannah (yes, I know all about the importing vs. captive bred and I have a source for CB Savannahs).
    So it is just the size that attracts you? There are some mid-sized Indo species that would work better in an aboreal type setup so you could avoid the large base, but they are far from the bulk size that savs and ionides have.

If it is not specifically size, I would look around at other smaller monitors besides ackies. There are lots out there and all have such varying personallities.

I guess what I am saying is keep what you like but don't limit yourself. There are tons of monitor species out there. Some are just not as common so you don't see them very often.

Also due to where I want the monitor in my house a one piece 8xAnything container will not make the corner into the room.
    A 5 ft long monitor in a 8 ft. enclosure has no room to do anything but eat and sleep....no life. Now a 5 ft monitor in a 15'x15' room will show you all kinda cool behaviors. If you really enjoy the larger monitors, I would just wait until you get the proper space to keep one instead of not providing an ideal setup for the animal. Iodides and Savs are not going anywhere, so no worries
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I am having a lot of trouble finding anything between the size of an ackie and an ionides besides a Savannah. If you could rattle off a quick list for me that'd be great. I do really like the bulk of the Savannah and Ionides and I like the shape of their heads (I see this as being no more silly than liking a kind of morphed snake). I would consider something arboreal but in that case cost is a concern, I haven't seen an arboreal monitor for less than $600. Which I guess is not that bad but at that point my girlfriend and family are going to realize the insanity and OCD of my animal keeping hobby and have me committed.

I also like Blue Tegus but then you're back to the whole digging thing. I'd at least like to provide some space where my monitor/tegu can dig a nice burrow for itself if it so desires.

I am pretty handy, I can build any enclosure you can dream up.

Thanks

Red Tegus are gorgeous and very impressive, pretty calm natured(at least the one I met and held). Might be one to consider.

The female I held weighed about as much as a toddler, 25-35lbs, and was around 5ft or so long, maybe longer.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

They're such small squirts when they're babies, hard to imagine one full grown.