Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

1 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What Would U do?

I have 2 beardies right now. Both were the same size when I bought them but one just isn't right. I took it to the vet to find it's a female for one and 2 not really sure what is wrong with her. She was just laying around the night before, wouldn't walk straight, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink. The vet said it could be parasites, could be an infection, she had what felt like water in her tummy, and could just be the way she is. So we started with 3 different meds and the next mornign she was holding her head right and seemed a little better. Well 3 days later and I still can't get her to eat anything. I have seperated them out also and she still won't eat. The other one is so much bigger but she's the same size as when we got her. Should I try for another vet to see if I can get a better answer? Or is it likly the next vet will say treat for everything just to cover the basis?
    1.1 Children
    0.0.1 Water Monitor
    1.1 Dwarf Hamster(Rainbow and Scooby)
    1.0 Ferret (Trouble)
    1.0 Kitten-Cookie
    0.2 Rats

Thanks

Re: What Would U do?

You should try another vet IMO
    I don't know anything about beardies.. so I can't help
    But def. see if another vet will tell you what it is.

Thanks

What's her set up like?
    Lighting/UVB? What Brand and how old?
    Basking temps/Ambient temps?
    Substrate?
    How old is she?
    How long has this been going on?
    Are you soaking her daily and misting her so she stays hydrated?
    What foods are you offering and how often?
    Has she been having bowel movements daily?
    Supplements?

Did the vet do a fecal exam to check for parasites? Or did she just say the Bearded might have parasites and leave it at that...

What meds were you given?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Could very well be burmation. But then again I would think that her cagemate would be in the same state.

But again give us a run down of your set-up and we can go from there.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

These are babies if I remember right, tiny babies. Definitely not brumation.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Are they babies? I have seen beardies do a mild brumation within there first year(around 8 months or so), where they don't eat much are lethargic and sleep ALOT. A good soaking might help in case she is dehydrated or constipated. Also I have had one beardie brumate while others were very active so you never know. They genearally poop alot so a fecal is the best start if you haven't done one already. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks

If it is set up related, what affects one beardie will most likely affect the other. I would definitely have a fecal done for both of them. The medications you were given probably just took the edge off from what was actually wrong with her.
    Also, check over her whole body (literally scale by scale) for any external parasites. Especially check the upper eye lids and the inside corners of the mouth. They won't like the eye lid checking obv, so put mild pressure on the corners of the mouth, it sometimes helps to calm them enough to do what you need to do.

Thanks

If there are two beardies in the same cage, one could be hogging the basking spot and UVB. If you are noticing a marked size difference, this is probably the problem and you will need to separate them, or at the VERY least set up two basking spots. It is a dominance sign though, so watch very carefully!

Although, I would also try a new vet.
    Meds tend to be very stressful on beardies and almost always affect their diet and sometimes their hydration.

What meds in what doses is yours on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zimbabwepegasus
    If there are two beardies in the same cage, one could be hogging the basking spot and UVB. If you are noticing a marked size difference, this is probably the problem and you will need to separate them, or at the VERY least set up two basking spots. It is a dominance sign though, so watch very carefully!
    I had a female with that problem when i bought her. The male she was with was taking the food and she became quite skinny.

I didn't even think about that possibility. I'd definitely give them the second basking site and maybe seperate feeding (taking the other out).

Thanks

Guys.. the OP already separated the two.
    --Becky--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast