Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

0 members and 3,088 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Anyone buy frozen feeders from petco?

Thats one of things I have noticed major slacking on, is misting. Some of those cages that require even a moderate amount of humidity are just bone dry.

They keep their cresties at 100 degrees, they can't tolerate temps over 85 at the most for very brief periods.
    I talked with the employee's about that, and a few other things. They had no clue. These are some of the things they are fighting for to be changed in their policies.

It makes you wonder about the people who actually own these chains, how they can live out their lives knowing how many animals die every year, just from these chain stores.

Fortunately they aren't all bad, there are a few really good ones but they are few and far between. Way to few and far between.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzureN1ght
    I used Big Cheese rodents ( http://www.bigcheeserodents.com/ ), their mice come in vaccum-sealed trays. They were shipped to me with dry ice, so the mice were frozen SOLID when they reached me, they were packed perfectly, look great and are the size I ordered. It's where I'll be getting my F/T from here on out.
    Kim you just gave that website a new customer. If I was a snake, that's how I'd want my F/T to be. Link them to this thread and maybe they'll give you a discount. Lol.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -Albert Einstein

Thanks

I don't mean to sound rude. But if that's the care they need and it can't be provided. Then that's not something that should be sold in your or any store.

To me that's like not giving a dog its food. Simply because your scared of dogs. If it can't be done by the employees. Don't house and sell the animal.

Sorry to stray off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by HellPuppi
    I work as. a groomer at my local petco.
    Maybe it's just because we do have a tendency to ignore the rules .
    The only complaint I have against my Petco (well it's mine until I move in a few weeks) is that we only have one person who knows much about reptiles, and he's only in 2 days a week. Everyone else is deathly afraid of the snakes, so I have to go help the poor girls out. That and we got some hatching chams in, and no one knew they had to be misted! Poor things! I did my best every day I worked, but unfortunately the 2 we got passed away. We do take sick/injured animals to the vet, but unfortunately something like misting gets overlooked in the course of the day.
    Ah well. Don't think I added much to the conversation.

Thanks

Heh if it was up to me they WOULDN'T be selling reptiles, much less getting new reptiles in that no one knows anything about, but unfortunately my influence only goes to the grooming department.
    It's okay, I don't understand me either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chz
    Kim you just gave that website a new customer. If I was a snake, that's how I'd want my F/T to be. Link them to this thread and maybe they'll give you a discount. Lol.
    Haha! Well, I doubt that. But when I really like a product, I like other people to know about it, too (CoBigelow, a company that makes my favorite lip gloss should seriously send me royalties--I've converted many friends over to it ).

I really liked them! The customer service was a little awkward over the phone, but everything got to me as promised. Auryn seems to like them, too I figured out the price per mouse (including the shipping) and it came out to WAY less than I was paying at PetCo for crappy, sick-looking F/T and for their live mice (which were on the small side)--so it was worth it for me.
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

Edit: Um...I accidentally replied to my own post
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

the petco i work at we get them from rodentpro but our freezer blew up so we werent carrying them for a while and now that the freezer is fixed we havent had any complaints like that. but i have had experiance like that from buying frozen before from other places.

Thanks

The Petco nearest me tends to have opened bags of mice that I was able to look into and go... um, no. The Petsmart had better mice (T-Rex Arctic Mice I think?), but way too expensive (individually packed mice is chic but pointless). I go to a local small store and the mice are always in good condition (and they'll give me a nice size variety of pinkies for my various age snakes).

At Petco I've had the lack of experience experience. I went in to get a pet Emperor scorpion (they were the only local sellers at the time that I could find). Firstoff the poor things were under bright light, which is not good for them. Their tank was too dry, too. The best part came when they had to get one out. None of them were trained to handle scorpions, and they didn't even have gloves. None of 'em WANTED to handle a scorpion. I watched as they tried alternately trying to herd my chosen scorp into a box with a stick pen, then moved onto a fish net. I guess they weren't thrilled with my picking the sole feisty one (He was a full grown adult of undeterminated age). I asked if they wanted me to come around and try and get him out since they were all terrified of the critter and didn't want to put their hands in the enclosure. They said no, it was a liability to let a customer handle a dangerous animal... Which made no sense to me because they were SELLING it to me... Finally they got the poor fellow into a box and home with me he went.

Caesar lasted a good eight months with me before quietly passing away.
    Amarin Astarte | Serval@Large
    http://www.peatrax.com

1.0 High White Aberrant Cali King <Voodoo> | 1.0 Lavender Florida King <Rhybahn> | 1.0 MBK <Ochoa>
    1.2 Peafowl <Elton, Amy, Josephine> | 1.2 Silver Phoenix <Houin, Kouyou, Soleil>
    0.3.1 Pharaoh Quail <Lady Godiva (Tibetan), Unnamed (Tuxedo), Nefertari (Italian), Unnamed (Normal)>
    2.0 Button Quail <Halfpint (Normal), Royale (Red-breast)> | The Zebra Finch Collective | 20 gal fishtank | 1.0 Crowntail Betta

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy
    Exactly, the rats from Petco are yellow and dirty and sticky. Its like a film all over them and it is just gross. The smell is horrible.

EWWW! thats not good! in the past i have brought rats from rodentpro! but i'm going to give Big Cheese a try! we'll see what happens!
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Kristy here's a couple of suggestions. Since you are only feeding one snake per week you could approach the private pet store that breeds the f/t's you prefer and ask them if for a slightly higher price they could reserve an entire litter or two for you. Then you'd have a big bag of frozen feeder the right size to take home. Or I'd suggest trying www.themousefactory.com They are a bit more than RodentPro but their customer service (ask for Edna), their shipping and their product is just about as perfect as it comes.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast