Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 869

0 members and 869 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: Do you have your BP in a tank or tub?

Voters
835. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tank

445 53.29%
  • Tub

390 46.71%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Do you have your BP in a tank or tub?

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra
    Tubs are great and fine for those who are attached to them, and they can be real saviors when your collection is huge...but for those who only have 1-4 snakes and will never increase their collection beyond that (like me because I can't), then tanks and display cages are the way to go for enjoyment and beauty.

Just my
    Well said.

A tub would be pointless for someone that has one snake.

Like me, I have a nice 40 gal breeder in my living room. Everyone that comes over gives me compliments on it and my bp.

Plus it more easy on the eyes when i'm sitting there watching tv seeing him roam around in it.

Thanks

Just FWIW, I used tubs in varying sizes for my first snake that I got in 2004. It saved me alot of trouble and heartache trying to regulate temperatures and humidity(she always ate well, even throughout the winter, and always had great sheds). The other Ball Python in the house(a friend's snake) was kept in a 55 gallon tank with one heating pad, no thermostat/thermometer/hygrometer, never shed in one piece and only ate every 2-3 months(and gerbils at that).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I use tubs and a couple display cages here, at the zoo we use tubs and old-style slant front Neodesha cages.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra
    When you have more than, say, 4 snakes, of course tanks would be impractical. They take up a ton of room and you can't stack them. A rack system, therefore, would be a great space saver and way to heat all those enclosures 'at once' as it were. However, do not forget the existence of display cages. When built (or ordered) right, you can have 4 cages stacked and get the same benefits of simpler heating with flexwatt and saved space, as well as better heat and humidity control...and STILL have a great looking cage with naturalistic decor that you, your friends, and especially your snakes can love. Yes, they can get heavy - at least more so than tubs - but if you put a good locking wheel system on them (the same as I have seen needed on large racks) then moving them isn't a challenge.

I have seen some of those cages and they are beautiful, but talk about needing to be a millionaire. I saw a 5 cage set up for $1200. Amazing tanks and display items with amazing locking systems. I think I would only have one of those if I kept venomous snakes. Tubs have so many advatages over tanks it is kind of one sided. The only good part of a tank is the display feature and if that outweighs cleaning, easier temp/humidity control, cheaper electric bill, sturdy, and being compact then tanks are for you.

But I bought a rack from RBI that holds either 8 juvies or 4 large adults or any combination of the two, for 234 dollars shipped with tubs included and flexwatt installed.

Thanks

all of my other snakes are in tubs except for my BP. she's in a tank since it's been empty for a long time so she'll make good use of it until she outgrows it.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Tanks are for the humans pleasure and tubs are for the snakes pleasure.
    You don't need a rack or multiple animals to use a tub. There are many people with 1 snake that use a tub for easier husbandry, cleaning and security for the snake(BP's that is). Other species of snakes may prefer alot more cage space but BP's like smaller areas.

Tanks are fine to look at your snake but your snake would prefer the privacy of a tub.

Tubs are better to control enviroment but most people would prefer to view their snake in a tank.

The other nice thing about tubs is since they are so cheap you can buy 2, still way cheaper than a tank, and when it's time to clean just swap them from one to the other. No stress on the snake, no need for a temporary enclosure during cleaning and less chance of escape.

Snakes don't always poop at convinient times so i have extra tubs, bowls and hides(from 99 cents store) so I just swap them out and clean dirty tub at my convienence.

Thanks

A question... can you use a heat mat (like zoomed's) instead of heat tape for tubs....? Or is there a difference (except price)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonsRule
    A question... can you use a heat mat (like zoomed's) instead of heat tape for tubs....? Or is there a difference (except price)?
    Yes you can but I ALWAYS reccomend a T-stat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle
    Yes you can but I ALWAYS reccomend a T-stat.
    Is this it?
    http://www.bigappleherp.com/BAH-100-...Plug-In-Design
    sorry if this is off topic..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonsRule
    Is this it?
    http://www.bigappleherp.com/BAH-100-...Plug-In-Design
    sorry if this is off topic..
    Those are not very good or accurate. I wasted my $ on 3 when I was starting and then got a Ranco. It is more $ but you won't have problems and stress out!

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast