Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,985

1 members and 2,984 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: SilkWorms??

Thanks

SilkWorms??

According to the list of accpetable food for the dragons silkworms are some of the best things to give them. I can't find them any where though? Even LLL Reptile doesnt have them for sale. I was gonna use meal worms and crickets but they arent that great for them so I wanted to try silkworms but I cant find them.
    1.1 Children
    0.0.1 Water Monitor
    1.1 Dwarf Hamster(Rainbow and Scooby)
    1.0 Ferret (Trouble)
    1.0 Kitten-Cookie
    0.2 Rats

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: SilkWorms??

oh there are soooo many places in the states to get silkies. try this forum and ask... as they know who to get them from!

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Crickets are a beardie's staple food. worms are for treats and putting on weight.

I usually give my guys butterworms, horned worms, and silkies as treats. they can't seem to get enough of those horned ones!

Try this site. They deliver to your door.

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/

The horned and slikies are pretty gooey inside! I have two who actually try to take the worm out of the other ones mouth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell
    Crickets are a beardie's staple food. worms are for treats and putting on weight.

I usually give my guys butterworms, horned worms, and silkies as treats. they can't seem to get enough of those horned ones!

Try this site. They deliver to your door.

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/

The horned and slikies are pretty gooey inside! I have two who actually try to take the worm out of the other ones mouth.

Agreed crickets and greens for the most part and worms once a wekk or so as treats you can give more to gravid moms since they need the extra fat.

I tend to see silkworms more readily availible in the spring. Their main source of food is Mulberry leaves and in the fall they die back. There are some breeders who feed them some other stuff though.

Thanks

True, Silks may be more available in the spring however Mulberry farms does have them available now. Not sure what they're being fed though. Still a good treat for them though. My guys can't seem to get enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastjungle
    Agreed crickets and greens for the most part and worms once a wekk or so as treats you can give more to gravid moms since they need the extra fat.

I tend to see silkworms more readily availible in the spring. Their main source of food is Mulberry leaves and in the fall they die back. There are some breeders who feed them some other stuff though.
    I have to disagree. Worms can be great staples! Crickets can't be left along with the BD because they will nibble on the lizard if not eaten. They are also more likely to carry parasites. I haven't used crickets in 10 months; silkworms and butterworms are great staples. Waxworms are fatty and should be used as treats. Superworms are ok for larger beardies, and mealworms shouldn't be used at all (no nutrition). Phoenix worms are also great staples, high in calcium, but they're tiny.

I order from Mulberry Farms at least every 1-2 months.
    Christine

1.0 Hubby
    2.0 twin toddlers
    0.1 Bearded Dragon "Bebe"
    0.1 Normal BP "Lacey"
    ~ we now have a gender balance in our house ~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiramay
    I have to disagree. Worms can be great staples! Crickets can't be left along with the BD because they will nibble on the lizard if not eaten. They are also more likely to carry parasites. I haven't used crickets in 10 months; silkworms and butterworms are great staples. Waxworms are fatty and should be used as treats. Superworms are ok for larger beardies, and mealworms shouldn't be used at all (no nutrition). Phoenix worms are also great staples, high in calcium, but they're tiny.

I order from Mulberry Farms at least every 1-2 months.

I have raised and bred beardies for over 12 years and we used to think worms were the way to go. Now it is understood that the fat/ protien ratio is way to high and crickets are a better staple food and worms should be treats. A diet of just worms can lead to obesity and all kinds of health problems. Not to mention chasing crickets is the only excersize most beardies get. I have seen obese lazy beardies that die at a young age because of high fat diets. been there done that.