Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

0 members and 3,123 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Gross side effects of Baytril

I have been treating one of my rats with Baytril for a sinus infection and he now has some bad diarreha. Along with that he is also messing with his ears more... I hope he isn't getting an ear infection to sport as well.

Is there anything I can feed him to help with the diarreha? We will probably be going right back to the vet for the ear thing as well.

On the plus side his sinuses have been improving!

Thanks

Re: Gross side effects of Baytril

Crackers are good for human squirts.. I wonder if it's the same for rats?? I know they love crackers! lol
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

Thanks

dairy, especially yogurt, restores the natural bacteria that keep us from being diarrhetic all the time. The antibiotics you're giving him are killing off the bacteria, so restoring them may be difficult. Just make sure he's got plenty of water, and if it appears to be taking too much of a toll on him take him back to the vet.

Thanks

I was even considering putting a bottle of pedialyte in his cage... He doesn't like yogurt anymore. He's been getting a mixture of rice and grain cereal akin to becky's mix, but he won't touch the yogurt. GRRR. He pretty much hates me now too, I'm the med giver, and he really doesn't care for me at all.

He doesnt appear to be any worse for wear at this point, but I'll have to keep an eye on him even more.

Thanks

They have acidophilus capsules at WalMart and other places. Maybe mix up some jello, let it set and give him a cube a few times a day.

As far as diarrhea with baytril, my rats have never experienced it.

Dairy, you have these to work with:

Chocolate soy milk(mine like 8th continent, but are content with any of them really), vanilla soy milk, a bit of goat's milk, ice cream(some), soy baby formula.

Or make some jello and mix in some yogurt. I doubt he would notice the difference.

And I'm probably the mean mom, but if the don't take their meds with yummy stuff, they get straight Baytril(the injectable kind) in their mouth. They learn very quickly to take it via yogurt or other stuff. Baytril makes your mouth numb and tastes like dead feet.. Ew. (not that I would know what dead feet taste like...) I usually tilt them back by scruffing them, which opens their mouth a bit, then I squirt their dose in. It absorbs really quickly and even though they try to wipe their mouth on me, it doesn't work, hehe. Little snots! Worse than some kids!
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    They have acidophilus capsules at WalMart and other places. Maybe mix up some jello, let it set and give him a cube a few times a day.

As far as diarrhea with baytril, my rats have never experienced it.

Dairy, you have these to work with:

Chocolate soy milk(mine like 8th continent, but are content with any of them really), vanilla soy milk, a bit of goat's milk, ice cream(some), soy baby formula.

Or make some jello and mix in some yogurt. I doubt he would notice the difference.

And I'm probably the mean mom, but if the don't take their meds with yummy stuff, they get straight Baytril(the injectable kind) in their mouth. They learn very quickly to take it via yogurt or other stuff. Baytril makes your mouth numb and tastes like dead feet.. Ew. (not that I would know what dead feet taste like...) I usually tilt them back by scruffing them, which opens their mouth a bit, then I squirt their dose in. It absorbs really quickly and even though they try to wipe their mouth on me, it doesn't work, hehe. Little snots! Worse than some kids!
    I know what you mean! I put him on my lap and he knows he doesn't want anything to do with me. He'll take it much better now because he knows he gets his favorite treat right after, but he doesn't much like me pulling him out of the cage now.

I'll have to try the jello thing, that should work very well, thanks.