Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,789

2 members and 2,787 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

question about WC females

how long does it generaly take for a WC female to breed. is it worth getting a couple WC females for the price cut or is it more trouble than its worth? anyone who could share some ideas would be great thanks

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: question about WC females

They may not breed at all, let alone eat.

Thanks

wild caughts are generally very stressed animals carry a host of endoparasites and can be prey imprinted and picky eaters. you will prolly be better off getting some CB females for breeding projects.

Thanks

We have two confirmed WC adult females, both came to us as non-eaters. Both are now eating but it's a long road, one that requires a LOT of patience and there's no guarantee either will ever breed. We've had one only a matter of months, the other one going on 2 years. Both were taken in as rescues with the intent to rehab them, not as any kind of short cut to getting a breeding size female. I don't think that works out very well most of the time, unless you are very, very experienced with working with WC adults.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Once again, I don't have the Barker's book here at work, but I'll be happy to find the section that addresses WC adult females. They said that WC adult females rarely breed successfully in captivity.

Joanna also pointed out about the struggles they have been through with their two WC adults. If you've not had prior experience with WC adult females, I'd also recommend taking a pass and invest instead in some nice well established females.

Thanks

thanks guys ill just save up. i was hesitant to get them that why i asked thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnabrams82
    thanks guys ill just save up. i was hesitant to get them that why i asked thanks again
    Good call buddy.

Thanks

If you are looking for ease with breeding issues then either raising a CH or CBB female up would be best or spending the money to get a close to breeding size female. For us, with Danu and Saoirse, it's been about simply wanting these two snakes to have a chance at a decent captive life. Neither will leave us even if they never breed. I don't want to have anyone take away the message that it's not "worth" working with WC adults. It's always worth it to save a snake and give it a chance, it just depends on the goals you personally have for the snake and the time you're willing to commit to helping it become at ease with captivity.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

yeah i see what your saying. i would be willing to work with a wc female but, right now i was trying to find a couple more breedable females for this season. I was a little torn between getting a few breeders or getting a pair of YB's. so the YB's it is. thanks guys

Thanks

Two original WC females, came in as adults about 2 or 3 years ago.... tics and all that crap on them. Two clutches produced this year.

I would go with CB or captive import babies and raise them up myself. I just happened to get one of the females I mentioned and a buddy got another.... so we did a joint breeding program with them this year.

They can be extremely difficult to work with and I'd say we got pretty lucky!

It's not something I would advise though. It is much less stressful to raise the babies up for breeding.
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles