Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

0 members and 3,132 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

need help from an experienced GTP keeper....

Hello to all, my names paul. I have been on this site many times and usually post about ball pythons. I have had snakes for about 6 or 7 years now. Ball's, corn's etc. They have always thrived so i am looking for the next challenge. I did some homework and found a connection to get a quality GTP. I have been researching for a week now. Rite now i am waiting for a couple clutches to hatch, and from there my breeder will give me my pick of GTP. It wont be anything too exotic like a sorong or something, i cant remember what he called it but its generally green with yellow splotches as an adult, which from what i have seen could be almost anything. The clutch isnt due to hatch for another 3 weeks, and my breeder is going to hold onto one for me for a couple weeks to make sure that it eats healthy and it dosent have any problems. This also gives me time to setup my tank.

The point of my thread is that despite all my research i still have some questions that i need answered. My choice of tank is an exo terra terrarium, but i am not sure if i should get the 18x18x18 or the 18x18x24. Is 18" tall enough for a juvenile, or because of growth is it easier to have the 24"? What is the best way to heat the tank without sacraficing humidity? Should i put a heatpad on the back glass, or should i use an overhead radiant panel? If the panel is my best choice, where can i get one?
    PAUL

1.0 HET HYPO MALE BP
    0.2 NORMAL BP
    0.1 Het Hypo (coming soon)
    0.1 Mojave (Coming Soon)
    0.0.1 07-08 New York Giant Superbowl Ring (coming soon)

Thanks

Re: need help from an experienced GTP keeper....

I plan on using a 11 hr photoperiod. What is the best bulb to use? Should i leave the light on during the day or at night?

I also have plans to have a waterfall in the tank. Is this a good idea or bad? I would have a gravity top off to make sure it does not dry out. Would the waterfall increase humidity? And would it also help the humidity to add a fogger? If not, could i use it for visual effects?

What is the best substrate to use? I read that newspaper is good for juveniles and cypress mulch would suffice for adults. What is the best to go with, cleaning is no problem, i want the best for my new addition. As perches should i use PVC or wood? Do i need more than two? What is the best way to secure a perch?

If i were to use the waterfall would that be an ample water supply for the GTP? Or would the moving water frustrate him/her? I understand that as a species, the GTP is very nippy. I hear some can be handled if they wanted to be, and then others just want to be left alone which is understandable. I have also read that GTP's tend to clam down when they become yearlings, should i wait until then to handle him/her, or should i start while he/she is young in order to help the snake become more docile when it grows?

I am very excited to recieve this new addition. I would like to learn all i can before it arrives in the next weeks. This will be the most i have ever spent on a snake so i would like to make it as happy and healthy as possible, even if it makes my job harder. Any and all information is appreciated and i look forward to hearing everyones opinion. Thank you.
    PAUL

1.0 HET HYPO MALE BP
    0.2 NORMAL BP
    0.1 Mojave (Coming Soon)

Thanks

Can we move this to Morelia....don't know why people think green tree PYTHONS are Tree BOAS.

I am not an experienced GTP keeper so I will not respond to much to your post.

However...I do suggest buying an older GTP not a few week old hatchling. They can be VERY difficult. May I ask who the breeder is?

I don't suggest using one of those waterfalls. Just plain old misting will work just fine. The waterfalls have to be cleaned often and can harbor some nasty bacteria.

Newspaper works great, as well as cypress.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

yes please move, i didnt know of the other forum, i just saw everyone posting in here. Thank you for the info.
    PAUL

1.0 HET HYPO MALE BP
    0.2 NORMAL BP
    0.1 Mojave (Coming Soon)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Moved it across for you.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

you can't have just one!

Thanks

I'm getting one too! YIPPY
    I'd suggest an older GTP as well, and inclosure for an adult should be 36Lx24Wx24H.
    Misting is all you need, and I'd use newspaper since it's the easiest to cleanup.

I get PVC for perches since some wood can harvest bacteria, but again it depends on the amount of moisture and the type of wood.

Spruce Nubble Farms also has some caresheets and also give you ideas on how to setup a ExoTerra tank also how to connect the perches to the enclosures.
    http://www.sprucenubblefarm.com/
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

Thanks

thanx, for all the info, the website finegtp.com is where i learned all my info that i know. im not sure i can handle an adult, i would rather start with something small that i can handle bites from, i would also like to see it mature. That is one of the reasons why i am interested in getting this snake. Also, im 19 years old and i still live with my parents, i need to sell two of my balls in order for them to allow me to have my GTP. So i dont think they will be too fond of an adult. Anyone have any idea whats the best way to heat the tank?
    PAUL

1.0 HET HYPO MALE BP
    0.2 NORMAL BP
    0.1 Mojave (Coming Soon)

Thanks

IMO the best way to heat a GTP cage is a Radiant Heat Panel.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...Picture049.jpg

Go with a Pro-Prducts panel as well top of the line.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

my tank will only be a 12x12x18. do they make one to fit that? and where can i get one?
    PAUL

1.0 HET HYPO MALE BP
    0.2 NORMAL BP
    0.1 Mojave (Coming Soon)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast