Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,238

1 members and 3,237 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Keeping beardie outdoor

Hello everyone,

I`m not actually a new member, but I re registered because I forgot my password and can`t seem to be able to re log in with a new one.

Anyways... I had a beardie that passed away due to UVB deficiency, that was almost two years ago now.

I`m thinking of keeping a beardie again and would like to know if it`s ok if I keep it outdoors with regular sunlight and natural photoperiod. Temps will constantly be between 80-90F and humidity never below 50%. ( I live in the tropics ). Would it get sufficient UVB and would the valuable UVB rays be blocked by the glass?

Look forward to hear any input and many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Thanks

Re: Keeping beardie outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by iloveherps
    Hello everyone,

I`m not actually a new member, but I re registered because I forgot my password and can`t seem to be able to re log in with a new one.

Anyways... I had a beardie that passed away due to UVB deficiency, that was almost two years ago now.

I`m thinking of keeping a beardie again and would like to know if it`s ok if I keep it outdoors with regular sunlight and natural photoperiod. Temps will constantly be between 80-90F and humidity never below 50%. ( I live in the tropics ). Would it get sufficient UVB and would the valuable UVB rays be blocked by the glass?

Look forward to hear any input and many thanks in advance.

Cheers
    I know that a beardie will benefit from the suns natural uvb, but they need a basking spot of about 103 degrees, also you have to think about the night drop. you dont want it to get below 75 degrees. Also DO NOT put any animal out side in a glass cage!!!!! It will literally cook them. Hope this helps.....jerm
    I USED TO EAT ALOT OF NATURAL FOODS UNTIL I LEARNED THAT MOST PEOPLE DIE OF NATURAL CAUSES.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I live in Southern California and have kept beardies out side in the summer. I would recommend a screen type cage and many hide spots. The sun is the best UV but your beardie will spend alot of the time out of the sun relaxing in the shade. Since reptiles cannot control their body temprature they need to go in shady areas to relax. I would not let a baby beardie get under 70-75 degrees but an adult beardie can get down to 60 degrees with no ill side effects. I have also kept beardies in a green house for years with lows in the 60's with no ill side effects. But once again this is for mature established adult beardies. I would still have an indoor enclosure for when there is inclement weather but I have found my beardies enjoy thier outdoor enclosures much more than the indoor ones. Some days they may act real antsy and when I put them outside they relax and enjoy the scenery. Don't forget lots of hides and a nice perch and a sceen type enclosure, glass will cook them.

Thanks

I would also be carefull of lightning bugs (fireflies) they are deadly to beardies. Not sure if you have them in your area. Just a pre-caution.
    I USED TO EAT ALOT OF NATURAL FOODS UNTIL I LEARNED THAT MOST PEOPLE DIE OF NATURAL CAUSES.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a 4ft glass cage by exo-terra with a net on top, it`s the same cage that I used to house my previous beardie which died when it was 1 year old.

I plan on putting the cage on my front porch which is covered so it won`t be exposed to direct mid day sun but will get some direct sunlight in the early evening when the sun sets, you know the yellowy sunlight. I do have a basking light but I`d most likely only switch it on for 1-2 hours and I`d have to monitor the temps closely if I do place the cage outside.
    I`m also thinking of maybe having a 30minute daily session free in the yard, like taking your dog for a walk kind of thing.
    Daytime temps 80-90F, night 70F. And there are no fireflies where I live, only mosquitoes lol.

The reason I`m thinking of placing the enclosure outside is because I can only find uva lights and I can`t find any uvb lights where I am... believe it or not. I still get very sad everytime I think of my previous beardie and I`m so afraid of MBD, I`ve learned a lot and I just want to make sure I get everything right this time.

So what do you all think, ok to keep it outside?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Could you possibly order the uvb lights over the net?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Here are some bulbs from Bean Farm. The mercury bulbs put out lots of UV. This should cure your problem.
    http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora....ng&user4=Bulbs

The reptisun 10. bulbs are really good too!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i would hesitate to house it outside... especially since the rays don't properly penetrate the screen and they don't penetrate the glass. this is why you are supposed to place your lights INSIDE your enclosure for beardies.

here's our free instructions on how to make an enclosure for beardies... the link page may have some helpful info for you.

http://www.timelessspirit.com/enclosure.html
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

I just felt a bit silly to order online and get it shipped halfway round the world. So I thought of keeping it outdoors with natural uv eventhough I actually prefer to house it indoors.

And I had some doubts on the screen glass blocking some of the rays, so thanks for clearing it up.

Well I guess I may still be ordering online afterall then.

Again, really appreciate it guys and thanks for the links.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

what's silly about caring for you pet properly? taking the time and effort to make sure it'll have a long healthy happy life?

i call that responsible and mature... not sily!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast