Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,431

3 members and 2,428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Drooling Cat?

Thanks

Drooling Cat?

I tend to wear pain patches for my wrists. Last night I put one on my shoulder because my brother had pulled my arm wrong during wrestling and I woke up the next morning to find my youngest cat Tyran sniffing at the pain patch. In my half awake state, I felt her start to lick the area near the patch (not the patch itself) and I shoved her aside thinking that there might be something toxic in the patch she should not get into her system. So I got up and went to the bathroom to remove the patch. I then fully woke up when I turned on the light and saw she had drooled on my arm.

Is there something I should be concerned about? She's eating, drinking, and acting normally. Actually, at the moment she is running around the room, chasing my other cat.

Normally the smell of a pain patch makes them leave me alone. They hate IcyHot patches especially, but just a few moments ago I found Tyran chewing on a pain patch wrapper that had fallen off the nightstand. Is she addicted to these things or something?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Drooling Cat?

I think it's a normal cat reaction to something they like. Some cats drool when they get catnip, some drool when they get into IcyHot, some drool when they are nervous.

Maybe it's like those lemus that like to bite millipedes and drool to rub that discharge on themselves to get high? I don't know.

Cats can be cats
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

My moms cat drools alot. She talked to her vet about it. He said they will do it when they are really really happy basically (hence the cat nip) lol. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mostly you want to watch for things like drooling and panting, lethargic, vomiting, blood in stool. Those would be more of a sign the cat got sick.

My ex had a cat that LOVED cough drops, the blue menthol kind. He would freak out and try and shove his nose in your mouth then sit there and drool all over you. He also loved winter fresh gum. So I think its that smell, the patches smell really similar.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

As long as the cat isn't drooling when away from the patches it's probably fine. Especially if the only symptom is drooling.
    Drooling without sniffing pain patches can indicate a lot of things, the easiest and most common being a bad tooth(teeth).
    Some cats drool when they are excited, or smelling something really strong. My husband's cat used to drool on us when he was really happy over being petted or when he had catnip. It was disgustingly thick nasty stuff too.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

My cat drools when she purrs. She can be sitting in my lap getting petted and purring away and I'll suddenly notice that my leg is drenched. It's kind of icky, but I like her anyway.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I'm more at ease now. I've just never seen her drool before. It was very gross since the drool was on my bare arm, but I love my baby girl and she can drool all she wants if it makes her happy. She's my little St. Bernard in kitty form.
    Under Construction.....