Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,263

1 members and 3,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found at work

Thanks

Found at work

My husband found this little one in the Coca Cola plant. It could have come from anywhere with a shipment. Any idea as to what it might be? It's pretty small. Only about 1' long.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Found at work

Looks like a baby Western Fox Snake to me. Pretty little thing!
    -- Judy

Thanks

great plains rat snake?
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

Thanks

It really freaked out some of the men at his work. I think because they thought it was able to "kill" them.

If it is a western fox can they survive in southern Ohio? I really don't want to keep it, but I want to make sure it can survive here before I release it.

Thanks

South Ohio is not in the natural range for this species (assuming it is a Fox Snake) they range only in Norther Ohio around the lakes. Here is a link about their range in Ohio.

http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/snake/fac...fox_snake.html

Since you do not know where it came from I would find a keeper if you confirm it is a Fox snake. If it is a Fox and you can find a way to ship it to me I would pay shipping down to my place.

That said I am NOT convinced this is a Fox Snake. My best guess is a black rat, they look a lot like this as a baby. Here are a few pics of black rat babies

Black Rats are common all over Ohio and south to Texas even over to Florida so it that is what it is letting it go is an option. As you can see the pics here look a lot like your snake. Fox Snakes are pretty uncommon compared to black rats, plains rats, etc.

It is hard to tell just from a pic. I could not find a good pic of a juvy fox snake but to my recollection they tend to have more brownish or reddish tones in them. I really think that is either a black rat or another type of rat snake perhaps Grey or Great Plains.

Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here's a pic of a juvie fox snake...

http://www.chicagoherp.org/herps/pics/snake/xfox1.jpg

It does look like a black rat as well...and that seems more likely, now that you mention it. The descriptions I read about western fox snakes did say that the juvies tend to have black markings on a light gray background and they develop the redder tones as they mature.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Judy,

Thanks for the pic on the Fox Snake Juvy! Wow I have to say a baby Fox and a baby black rat are VERY similar! To determine one or another by eye is difficult.

I thought at once black rat but it could be either to tell you the truth. I lean tward black rat here only because it is a lot more common of a species. If it were kept and fed for a few months or through winter you would know for sure.

Personally I would hold on to him until late spring even if I planned to release him. Then you would know what you have and could watch the change as he grows. If it is a black rat he will start to darken very quickly, if it is a plains rat, grey rat, etc that chage will take a bit longer to notice. If it is a Fox Snake then you need to either take him where he belongs or find a good breeder to get him/her into a breeding program. Fox Snakes are in decline and breeding them is one way to help protect the species long term.

If you really don't want him see if anyone locally would keep him at least till spring as it gets later in the year it will get a lot colder up there. Heck I would love to find out what he really is myself.
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Yay! I think we have a winner! It looks EXACTLY like the juvie black rat snake. The western fox was close, but something wasn't adding up. The black rat has the exact same markings on its head.

Thanks so much!

Now I have to find a good care sheet because we would like to keep it for a short time before releasing it.

He's way too fast to hold. Do you think he'd ever calm down?
    Last edited by KJE; 09-17-2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: another question

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KJE
    Yay! I think we have a winner! It looks EXACTLY like the juvie black rat snake. The western fox was close, but something wasn't adding up. The black rat has the exact same markings on its head.

Thanks so much!

Now I have to find a good care sheet because we would like to keep it for a short time before releasing it.
    Just a note on that. As you can see I have already recommended holding onto him if nothing else to be sure of what you have. I would just say being in Ohio consider the cold weather is comming quickly so I would plan on keeping him until spring thaw. That is what 6-7 months no big deal.

Next on care, consider him a corn snake. Do what you would for a corn and well you can just black rats, grey rats, foxes, all of them should be treated just like a corn. They could not be easier to care for.

Last be prepared for something many that only keep Captive Bred never experience. Many wild caught snakes will go off feed in winter even start to do so in the fall. Some will, some won't but it happens a lot. Apparently warm temps alone are not enough for many native snakes to accept that they don't need to burmate. So if he eats now but say in a few weeks to say in Oct or Nov. sometimes stops eating don't sweat. Make sure he has water, and offer food for a while. If he really shuts down, goes say a 3 weeks with out eating. Take away the heat, put him in dark quiet area and just keep his water available. You can take him down to 60-65 degrees if this occurs.

Then in late Feb - Early March, go to 14 hours of light, turn on the heat and he will start to eat again. Since you have a baby this may not occur, 90% he will eat all through the winter, just thought I would save you from any fear if he goes off feed. Call it premptive knowledge,
    Jack Spirko

Thanks

Thank you so much for the info!

I feel stupid, though. I thought the pic in the link was a rat snake, but it's a juvie fox snake. This snake looks just like that one. Same markings on the head and everyhing.

He's too fast to handle. Do you think he'll ever calm down? I know that he's just scared right now and needs to get use to his new environment.

I will give him a few days, then offer him a mouse pinkie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast