Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,464

2 members and 1,462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

New Snakes w/pics - From the Lonstar Show

Well Saturday I went to the Lonstar Reptile Expo in Arlington. It is a small show but is really picking up in attendence. I think they may need a larger venue soon. I brought home 4 new dependents (too bad the IRS won't let me claim exemptions on them).

None of the pics were taken in good light, etc. Just quick snaps when I put them into their vivs.

First I stopped by to see Dr. Neil Ford's son Dave (of Dave's Corns and Stuff) and picked two proven adult female House snakes. Both females and will be up for breeding their next cluch in about 4 weeks of good feeding. Cash (my biggest red male) is ready to meet the new girls soon.

Here they are both about the same shade and one just a bit bigger then the other.

Red Girl #1

Red Girl #2

While most people would call these L. fuliginosus they are actually both L. maculatus and the source of many fustrated would be breeders.

Next I have been wanting to increase my number of local animals for my shows for the kids. So I found this high orange Texas Rat Snake. The sire was at the show and was quite impressive at around 6 feet, gentle and had very nice orange. So I decided to pick up this little guy, he already sucked down a fuzzy, then shed this AM! I don't think keeping him on feed and growing is going to be a problem. Got him from Richard at "Bethsheba Herps".

Last I have been saying I am getting totally out of Corn Snakes but I just can't do it. I have a beautiful amel okeetee female I will keep forever and found her possible some day boyfriend. This is a male Abbots Line Okeetee. He was just SOOOOOOO cute and only 20 bucks so he came home too. I got him from Sally Shores of "Shores Enuff Snakes"

So the family keeps growing. Just a note for anyone wanting some red house snakes. Those girls and two of my others will all be ready to breed in about a month. So I should have several clutches of unrelated house snakes all from high red animals all around Dec 15thish. Just FYI,
    Last edited by jjspirko; 09-16-2007 at 06:32 PM.
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Re: New Snakes w/pics - From the Lonstar Show

The red's are hot, very interesting snake's. Those are house snake's correct?

EDIT: never mind I read your post again, and it says house snakes more than once sorry
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Nice snakes, Jack! I had hoped to go so we could meet you, but we decided not to spread ourselves too thin that day. Maybe next time!

I think I heard they will be going to a bigger venue soon, but must finish the lease contract that the previous owners of the show had with the Lodge.

Thanks

Chris,

Yea I am hooked on house snake and have been breeding reds specificly for a long time. My goal is over time to produce reds that are as red as say a blood red corn. I know it can be done and with a cluth possible say 4 times a year I can do it in my guess say five years.

Sarah,

Sorry we did not get to meet but any time you go to any show in the Arlington I will probally be there so our paths will crossed sooner or later,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

JJ,

Those are very cool snakes. I have been thinking of getting some house snake so I may be in the market soon. I have heard they tend to be biters, is that true and if so do they hurt? They are not that big so I don't see how it could be that bad.

On the Texas Rat you say he is high orange, but he does not look that orange how orange do they get and I am guessing it gets brighter as they age just like corns?

Joe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joe2500hiss
    JJ,

Those are very cool snakes. I have been thinking of getting some house snake so I may be in the market soon. I have heard they tend to be biters, is that true and if so do they hurt? They are not that big so I don't see how it could be that bad.

On the Texas Rat you say he is high orange, but he does not look that orange how orange do they get and I am guessing it gets brighter as they age just like corns?

Joe
    I am getting to the point where I am just not to sure where the whole thing about house snakes biting came from. I used to think it was from WC animals but I have about 10 of my House snakes that are WC and one of them is a biter and she is not that bad. The rest are all as gentle as a corn or king.

The one that bites do not "hurt" but she draws blood pretty good they have very long teeth for thier size.

On the Texas rat yep he will get more orange but it will never be like an okeetee corn or anything like that. It is a nice hughe or orange but not real bright as they get older.
    Jack Spirko