Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,948

1 members and 2,947 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Do you kiss your snake(s)?

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have no bones about admitting it. Smooch!!

117 39.53%
  • No, but I allow my kids to kiss the snake(s).

3 1.01%
  • OK, I'll admit it. I did it once.

54 18.24%
  • Never did and never will!

122 41.22%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Do you kiss your snake (or allow your kids to)?

The problem with the world today is all these stupid studies on this is dirty and that is dirty... germs are good for your body and good for your immune system... I dont know about everyone else but I rarely get sick... when I say rarely I mean maybe once in the past 5 yrs?? I dont wash my hands after handling my snakes and I kiss my dog... I can even vouch for a couple times where i had been talking to someone and my dog layed a good one on me and his tongue went in my mouth... I'm still here and I'm as healthy as ever... To me its those people who go out of their way to make sure everythings clean and theirs no dirt on anything that get sick the most... 5 second rule.... naw more like 5 minute rule... What doesnt kill you makes you stronger and builds up your immune system... If you want to be healthy and have a strong immune system you need to give your body practice killing off germs.
    snakes

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Josh, you do make some good points. There needs to be a balance struck between good hygiene and over-sanitizing everything. Our bodies DO need to be exposed to reasonable amounts of "germs" in order to build and maintain a natural immunity to them.

That being said...for me personally....knowing that my snake has slithered through her own wastes....and knowing that a dog probably ate some cat's poo a few minutes before trying to lick me.....ewww....I'd rather wash and not kiss...thank you very much.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

knowing what i now know about the parasites that reptiles can carry and harbor with no obvious outward signs for long periods of time...heck NO i will not ever kiss my reptiles! i love them to death but i can convey that in a multitude of other ways. some of the parasites that reptiles carry CAN be transferred to humans (and i'm not just talking about salmonella) and after reading about some of these things i'd really rather not take any chances.
    - Emily

Thanks

my 3.5 yr old son, wants to kiss George, has has once. He tries to hug him though... He hugs the Bearded Dragon too!! I have a very loving kiddo!! forgot to add, we wash up afterwards!!!
    Stephanie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJP7 View Post
    The problem with the world today is all these stupid studies on this is dirty and that is dirty... germs are good for your body and good for your immune system... I dont know about everyone else but I rarely get sick... when I say rarely I mean maybe once in the past 5 yrs?? I dont wash my hands after handling my snakes and I kiss my dog... I can even vouch for a couple times where i had been talking to someone and my dog layed a good one on me and his tongue went in my mouth... I'm still here and I'm as healthy as ever... To me its those people who go out of their way to make sure everythings clean and theirs no dirt on anything that get sick the most... 5 second rule.... naw more like 5 minute rule... What doesnt kill you makes you stronger and builds up your immune system... If you want to be healthy and have a strong immune system you need to give your body practice killing off germs.

i agree 100% i was never carefull with anything, yet i never missed a day of school because i never got sick. i still never get sick! i think germs are good for you, so yes, i sometimes kiss my snakes. but im not worryed because they have all had vet checks and i keep their cages clean, i do not have to worry about them slithering over their poop like some people, plus they all get baths afer they poop.

Thanks

No I don't kiss any of our pets or let our kids do that shoot had friends kids get fleas that was hard enough to help them cure.Lice another nasty parasite don't need any internal ones. As for the actual risk of salmonila, your more likely to get that at burger king or micky D's or any of your favorite fast food place's, still not a reason to kiss your snake.Thanks for bringing up the topic never really thought people would consider it.Though can anyone name the dirtest place in your house. A your dogs food or water bowl, your toilet or your bathtub. Guesses anyone? Well I'll save the suspense it's not the dogs bowl that 25 times less dirty then this choice, got you thinking it's the toilet now right nope thats almost 4 times cleaner then the correct answer. Yeah you got it it's the bathtub. So before you bath yourself you should really sanitize your tub. That's just my happy thought for everyone to consider today.
    Michael
    1.0 Het Albino BP ~ 1.0 Het Axanthic BP ~ 1.0 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Yellowbelly BP ~ 1.0 Cinnamon Pastel
    0.1 Pastel BP ~ 0.18 Normal BP's
    0.1 Albino Nelson's Milksnake ~ 1.2 BCI
    2008 BP Hatchlings - 3.4 Yellowbelly, 1.3 Normal

"Your enemy is never a villian in his own eyes.Keep this in mind;it may offer a way to make him your friend." "Little girls like butterflies need no excuses."

Thanks

I'm not really a snake kisser but I have been known to make face contact. Perhaps you could call it really prude kissing :-)

My personal opinion is that most "casual sanitization" praciticed today is rooted in ignorance, mostly ineffective, and driven by advertisers.

My mother worked in the medical field for most of her career. I can tell you that true sanitization is *hard* and it is almost impossible to be 100% effective (She worked on equipment for a "boy in a bubble" case and it is wild how much they had to go through to create a bacteria free environment for him). In the realm of sanitation techniques I would say that slathering on some hand sanitizer is probably about as effective as "early withdrawl" is as a birth control technique.

I also do not agree that it is irresponsible to let your kids kiss their pet snake. Not only are they in far more peril from all the human beings around them - over-protecting children from bacteria is harmful to them.

Anyway, my opinion only. I'm not trying to change anybody's mind. And, certainly, good hygeine practices don't hurt anything as long as their effectiveness levels are understood.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

I dont.. But My wife Does!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JASBALLS View Post
    I dont.. But My wife Does!!
    Liar!! You know you do just not your own!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1 View Post
    Liar!! You know you do just not your own!
    Hi Buddy! I love you man!!

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast