Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,823

0 members and 2,823 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Nyoka.

Banned
    Thanks

Pics of Nyoka.

This is my ball python, Nyoka. I called it Snake for a while, decided to fancy it up.

Hello there.

Eep camera time!

Don't make me pout.

Pouting.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Pics of Nyoka.

And this is it's home.

Toasty corner shack, with a big converted old floppy drive holder on the other side to chill out in. They work great if you can find them for free, holes in the top where the floppy disc plastic sectors went that are now great for ventilation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirgrim
    And this is it's home.

Toasty corner shack, with a big converted old floppy drive holder on the other side to chill out in. They work great if you can find them for free, holes in the top where the floppy disc plastic sectors went that are now great for ventilation.
    Lose the analog thermometers, they are garbage. Get a digital thermometer with a probe for like $12 at Wal Mart. Nice snake though.
    Mitch

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bright202
    Lose the analog thermometers, they are garbage. Get a digital thermometer with a probe for like $12 at Wal Mart. Nice snake though.
    Yeah I'm gonna get a better one soon but they're working. I need to replace that shack with them too, it's been outgrown. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah I'm gonna get a better one soon but they're working. I need to replace that shack with them too, it's been outgrown. Thanks.
    How do you know that they're working? What have you calibrated them against? Most people that get a digital thermometer and compare them to the crappy dial ones find that they can be as much as 10 degrees off. I believe someone once even put a dial one in the freezer and it still read 85 degrees.

$12 is not much to spend to get a quality digital from Walmart like this:

Thanks

Well the way I look at those dial, stick on ones is this...most pet stores use them. Most pet stores have snakes with stuck shed, as well as a ton of other issues - some of them relating to improper temps. Personally I'd spend the money on an Acu-Rite since proper monitoring of temperatures is one of the most important husbandry issues with these snakes.
    ~~Joanna~~

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    How do you know that they're working? What have you calibrated them against? Most people that get a digital thermometer and compare them to the crappy dial ones find that they can be as much as 10 degrees off. I believe someone once even put a dial one in the freezer and it still read 85 degrees.

$12 is not much to spend to get a quality digital from Walmart like this:
    I doubt they would sell or make them at all if they didn't actually work. Do you know the engineering principles behind an analog thermometer? They're not very complex. Sure they go bad, being off a couple degrees or what not. Just like the broken one stuck in the freezer. Probably corrupted by the heat and humidity and broke eventually.

I know people who have digital ones warp and stop working too. Does that mean they all don't work too?

That said, I have an infared no-contact thermometer I use for work. It works great for quickly comparing temperatures. I also keep the analogs in the dry corner to further their life.

I think my choice in monitoring equipment isn't very big. I will always give my animals the best care I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Although I've heard far too many cases even just here on this forum where members have reported that they were inaccurate by 10 degrees or more when they changed to digital, and far fewer complaints with digital for me to ever feel comfortable with analog.

In any case - Nyoka is a lovely snake and looks to be very well cared for.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I doubt they would sell or make them at all if they didn't actually work.

It's done ALL the time. I have purchased many cheapo thermostats and analog themometers and humidity gages from pet stores that are worthless. They buy them for 50 cents and sell them for $5 and make lots of $. No one is trying to put you down, just help. Many of us have done the exact same thing, like myself, and from advice and many years of experience we have learned about better ways and just trying to share that with you.

Yes digitals can go bad too but when you have everything dialed in with your t-stat it becomes pretty obvious and you just replace it.

We are just trying to help, not put you down.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastjungle
    It's done ALL the time. I have purchased many cheapo thermostats and analog themometers and humidity gages from pet stores that are worthless. They buy them for 50 cents and sell them for $5 and make lots of $. No one is trying to put you down, just help. Many of us have done the exact same thing, like myself, and from advice and many years of experience we have learned about better ways and just trying to share that with you.

Yes digitals can go bad too but when you have everything dialed in with your t-stat it becomes pretty obvious and you just replace it.

We are just trying to help, not put you down.
    I paid $1 for mine because I shop around and know what I'm looking for.

People calling my choice of equipment cheap is one thing. Saying it doesn't work right is assumptious at best, ignorant at least.

I also live in the desert, so equipment even works differently here and an analog setup might last longer without the high hummidy brought by, let's say Florida or California. Far away from salt too.

Yes, I am a little defensive that some pictures get nit-picked over guages by people that know nothing more about my setup or location than four pictures.

This might be my first ball python, but it's far from my first reptile or exotic pet.

Heck, I'm tempted to not upgrade to digital now just to show everyone it can be done.

Shh, just don't tell anyone I'm a live feeder. Keep 'em on the guages ;D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast