Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,731

0 members and 1,731 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Heavy rat mite infestitation in a large rat colony

For the past couple of weeks when ever I go near the rats I have been itching like crazy to the point I have been thinking I developed allergies to them. But then yesterday I was getting something out of my freezer & discovered that it was covered with 100s of very tiny bugs & now I was covered in them. Took care of that & was itching close after that. Then at somepoint it dawned on that they looked like snake mites. Knowing they weren't I checked the rats, sure enough they are every where. Almost all my rat trays our infested, They are crawling on the walls even. I cleaned all my trays about a week ago & have done feedings/waters a few times since & haven't seen any until yesterday & now they are every where in a short time. I estimate I have 500-600 rats & african soft fur rats at the moment, the room also houses 10 Sugar Gliders. Did some searching on this forum & on fauna forums. From that I already have put a permethrin sprayer in the room (goes off every 15 minutes). I bought a bottle of permethrin 10% concentrate to get the trays & stock tanks. I am unsure how to dilute it down to a safe level. I read in one post on fauna to dilute one cap ful per gallon but I would like to find a more accurate methon like table spoons or what ever. Does any one have thoughts on this? I am also wondering what is the best application method, directly on trays & bedding or spray cotton balls & let them nest in them? Any other tips suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I also need to be able to feed from this colony, can I safely? Also with the gliders being in the room as well I need to treat them so any thoughts there would help. Thanks, -Brad

Thanks

Re: Heavy rat mite infestitation in a large rat colony

The life cycles of external parasites are fairly simple as compared to internal parasites. In order to rid your pets of external parasites you need to understand their life cycles. The adults are easily killed, but the eggs are left behind and will hatch after the first treatment. Mites are arachnids, so they have eight legs. In the mite, life cycle stage one is the egg, or nit, which hatches to stage two, the six-legged nymph (larvae). In stage three, they molt into the eight-legged nymph, and then into the final stage, the adult. It may take only a week for the mites to complete the life cycle.You have to hit them when in the nymph or adult stage of life. This is why it’s so important to disinfect your cage at least once a week, and, anything in it, as well as treat your pets more than one time to kill all the parasites. Disinfecting with bleach is the fastest and easiest way to kill any type of microorganisms in the cage, including bacteria, virus, or fungi. Throw away anything made of wood as the eggs or nits may be hidden in it, and wood is not easily disinfected.

Insects such as lice are six legged creatures. Lice spend their entire life cycle on the host in just three stages: egg, nymph, adult. Their life cycle may be as long as 14-21 days. They lay their sticky eggs (nits) on the hairshaft so you can actually see them. This is where the phrase “nit picking” comes from; you can actually pick them out of the fur yourself.

The life cycle will determine how often you treat, but the type of treatment is also a factor. There are several ways to treat: oral, injectable, and topical. Each type of treatment has its advantages and disadvantages. It’s best to see your vet to get a diagnosis before initiating any treatment, although treatment for most of these creatures is the same.

Ivermectin, dosed orally or as an injectable, is often used safely in rodents, but it is not the be-all, end-all answer to parasite problems. You must still disinfect the cage and everything in it, or you will never stop the problem. Be aware that Ivermectin is a drug, and while it is relatively safe, as with any drug, the possibility exists that it can have adverse reactions in certain individual pets sensitive or allergic to it.

Topical treatments are sometimes safe, but they, too, can cause adverse reactions, and often are not very effective. There are powders, dips, foams, sprays, shampoos, insecticide strips, and guards on the market. Many of these are not at all safe for rodents. The dog and cat flea powders are not safe, they are too powerful and can poison your rat or mouse. The insecticide strips and mite guards for birds also are not safe. Rodents may eat them through the bars of the cage, or the odor from them may expedite respiratory problems, forcing them to be placed so far away from the mice and rats that they are not effective.

Dips, foams, sprays, and shampoos with the active ingredient pyrethrins, at no higher than 0.15%, are fairly safe, and some of them are effective. Pyrethrins are a natural substance that is extracted from chrysanthemum flowers. However, just because it is a natural substance does not mean it cannot be toxic to rodents. If a product is safe for two-week-old kittens, it is probably safe for rodents, but you should check with your vet before using one.

If your rats or mice are miserable, itchy, and developing lesions, think about these nasty bugs, but have no fear because you can get rid of them!
    http://www.rmca.org/Articles/bugs.htm

Thanks

I don't know the dilution for concentrated Pyrethrin so it is best to buy it already prepared.

Buy a can of PAM (provent-a-mite or you can get a can of Equte lice spray from Wal-Mart) which is designed for snakes but will work just as well and effectively on rat mites.

It is a fairly simple process - empty the cages and clean them out, treat with PAM according to directions (very quick short bursts), allow to dry, replace bedding and treat the bedding with PAM (again quick short burts) all to dry. Replace rats.

Long term is to buy a pyrethrin sprayer for your rat room which will keep this from ever happening again. (PM me if interested in more details)

Once you have treated them you need to figure out how you got them...did you bring in an outside rat that was infested and not quarantined?
    Sean

Thanks

All my rats are in wooden racks like many of the people use on this board. How should I go about treating the rack itself? I have thought about taking a torch & going over the whole thing once I see a decrease in mites to kill off any remaining eggs & other life stages.

I have delt with snake mites before so I have some experience when it comes to mites. I keep a can or two of pam (equate lice spray actually) around all the time.

I diluted the permethrin 10%, a tablespoon to a gallon. I have cleaned all the cages & sprayed them with it. I also sprayed cotton balls with it & let them dry, threw a few in each cage.
    I already have installed one of those automatic sprayers as well.

Far as how it happend, I am not sure. I haven't brought in a new rats for months & I get my bedding & diet directly from harlan teklad. My thought is through wild mice since I have been battling them lately. Though it just dawned on me if the mites are host pacific could they be the carrier?
    Thanks for the help, -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fur-n-Scales
    All my rats are in wooden racks like many of the people use on this board. How should I go about treating the rack itself? I have thought about taking a torch & going over the whole thing once I see a decrease in mites to kill off any remaining eggs & other life stages.

I have delt with snake mites before so I have some experience when it comes to mites. I keep a can or two of pam (equate lice spray actually) around all the time.

I diluted the permethrin 10%, \
    I would just take out the tubs and spray the wood rack directly with the pyrethrin spray...let it will kill anything. If it is that bad I would also spray the floor around it...and the entire room they are in. Sounds like you got it bad.

On a side note you said when you came near them you started to itch have you gotten a close up look at the bugs? Sounds more like rat lice then mites (mites are host specific so unlikely to "bug" you - lice on the other hand will bug everything...just curious
    Sean

Thanks

Yeah I got it bad. I still can't believe how fast they appeared.

I put one under a microscope & compared it to a picture of a rat mite on I found online, identical. I have also seen tiny white ones, they are smaller (can barely see them) than what I know are mites, I have figured they are just "baby" mites but could I be dealing with two diffrent bugs?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fur-n-Scales
    Yeah I got it bad. I still can't believe how fast they appeared.

I put one under a microscope & compared it to a picture of a rat mite on I found online, identical. I have also seen tiny white ones, they are smaller (can barely see them) than what I know are mites, I have figured they are just "baby" mites but could I be dealing with two diffrent bugs?
    Since you are certain it is mites my guess is you are just dealing with different stages of mites not multiple bugs...either way the Pyrethrin treatments will rid you of them.
    Sean