Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 385

18 members and 367 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

minatrea (49)
venefica (19)

» Stats

Members: 63,383
Threads: 237,165
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Zrycc
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: A Lesson in Basic Genetics

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    There are no codominant traits in ball pythons.

Pastel + mojave makes pastave where the two colors blend together.
    If they were codominant there would be parts of the snake looking like a pastel and parts looking like a mojave.
    The pastel and mojave genes are not members of the same gene complex. A pastave has two gene pairs of interest--a pastel gene paired with the corresponding normal gene and a mojave gene paired with its corresponding normal gene. Only genes of the same gene complex can be codominant/incomplete dominant. So pastave does not count.

Codominance = Parts of the snake having one appearance and parts of the snake having a different appearance. This definition is inaccurate.

The Burmese cat (cbcb) and the Siamese cat (cscs) have different colors because the cb and cs genes produce different amounts of melanin. Pictures of Burmese, Siamese and Tonkinese cats can be found in Wikipedia. The Tonkinese cat (cbcs) is intermediate in color because each color cell has a cb and a cs gene and each gene does its own thing. The two genes are codominant instead of incomplete dominant to each other because each gene produces a functional gene product.

The only snake genes that I would call incomplete dominants in the strict sense are the amelanistic and hypo genes in the corn snake. Until other genes are characterized, we don't know for sure which are codominants and which are incomplete dominants. And arguing about which term to use is pointless.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

skiajl6297 (05-11-2017)

Thanks

new to morphs

Thanks 1100000 i was just thinking of how i am going to deal with looking for a new mate for my snake and now this read has made the search much more clear.

Thanks again!

Thanks

What does each Morph mean?

I am very new to the snake world and trying to learn. I see all the posts naming different types of morphs , but I am having a little trouble differentiating them... How do you visually depict what morph the snake is? The very common ones I see are

Spider
    pinstripe
    pastel
    Axanthic
    lesser
    GHI
    Fire
    cinnimon
    mojave
    Ghost

if Iím looking at a snake at the store, how can I accurately depict what it is?
    thank you for your time on any/all responses

Thanks
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,010 Posts

A Lesson in Basic Genetics

Spend hours and hours on www.morphmarket.com and you will be an expert in no time.
    Just lock up your credit cards and your paypal account while you are browsing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 03-05-2018 at 12:24 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

buck_50 (05-27-2018),Dbluedevil02 (03-06-2018)

Thanks

Re: What does each Morph mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Dbluedevil02 View Post
    I am very new to the snake world and trying to learn. I see all the posts naming different types of morphs , but I am having a little trouble differentiating them... How do you visually depict what morph the snake is? The very common ones I see are

Spider
    pinstripe
    pastel
    Axanthic
    lesser
    GHI
    Fire
    cinnimon
    mojave
    Ghost

if Iím looking at a snake at the store, how can I accurately depict what it is?
    thank you for your time on any/all responses

The ones you listed, with the exception of fire, are all pretty easy to visually differentiate. Some of the other morphs, like yellow belly for example, are harder to determine.

I would research on morph market and WOBP and note the visual characteristics of the moprhs you are interested in. Odds are, if you see a BP at a store and it looks "normal", then it is a normal and not a morph. I would also advise buying from a good breeder vs. a store, as they can give you background info on the snake, tell you about feeding habits, parents, etc. But again, check reputations before you buy from anyone either here or on the fauna classifieds BOI.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    0.0.1 BTS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Dbluedevil02 (03-06-2018)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011