Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,668

3 members and 2,665 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Question BEL with red pupils, but why?

So I've asked this question before, and it's one that hasn't returned any 'definitive' suggestions.

I have a young BEL. She has dark blue eyes that aren't captured very well on a phone camera, and red pupils...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Today, whilst talking to a breeder with a large collection including pieds, a stunning burgundy albino as well as others including something they produced this year which they and a few others are apparently exploring as a potential first (looks like a trick, but claimed their trick has never been near the pairing, so interesting!), I mentioned my BEL and how I look forward to seeing what she produces in a few seasons time and listed the 'possibles' she has whilst ending with 'and she has these stunning red pupils'...

At that point, the breeder replied with that the red pupils would suggest het pied!

This is the first time I've heard this. I've looked a few times to try and guess at what may be causing the red pupils. I've read it could be the lesser, or even spider (but there's no spider in the list of possibles, and certainly no head wobble).

I've got a cheap black light torch here which, let's be frank, won't be up to much in terms of quality, but still, there's no hint of any markings to be seen. A higher quality black light will be sought in the future but not this side of Christmas!

But I'm curious of what your thoughts may be? Any experience with something similar?

She meant to be a super lesser fire, possible super fire, possible vanilla, possible enchi, possible pastel (possible load of nonsense, but time will tell )
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Thanks
    It's normal for BELs to have red pupils in certain lighting.

Thanks

Re: BEL with red pupils, but why?

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    It's normal for BELs to have red pupils in certain lighting.
    This is any light... barely light... sun light... torch light... if you can see her eyes, you can see the pupils are red!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I wouldn't exactly call them red, but photos vs irl might be very different. In rats and mice they would be considered "ruby", which is somewhere between red and black, certainly much darker than the pink eyes albinos have. I'll try to explain differently than last time what is going on, hopefully it makes more sense this time.

When you stack up multiple morphs that all have some amount of lightening effect, you are going to get lighter colors than the single morph on its own. So your Super Lesser + Fire + poss Enchi Pastel Fire/or/Vanilla is having Super Lesser turn her eyes blue and something else is adding to that to help make the pupils lighter but nobody knows what because she is too white to see any colors or patterns to identify which it is.

Many BELs have pupils like this because they have other morphs in there lightening things further, but you are not going to get anything definitive without test breeding because there just isn't any good way to tell exactly which morphs are in there doing it otherwise.

You can try taking some blacklight pics and see if you can pick up any pattern to give hints, but its still not definitive.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bleh (10-04-2021),Bogertophis (10-03-2021)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    Will confirm, hatched 4 BELs. All have red pupils. Nothing really special there as far as I can tell.

My pairing was:
    0.1 Super Pastel, Spider, Lesser (My green eyed monster. Black pupils)
    1.0 Mojave, Special, Pastel, Enchi (His pupils are also red because of him being a crystal)

3 of the babies were Pastel Mojave Lesser
    1 was Pastel Lesser Special
    I can't tell you if it is because of the pastel/enchi/spider, but I've seen other BELs with red pupils as well.

Coral Glows and Bananas will also have red pupils as well but the darker iris.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 10-03-2021 at 08:42 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bleh (10-04-2021),Bogertophis (10-03-2021),nikkubus (10-03-2021)

Thanks

Re: BEL with red pupils, but why?

That's really helpful info. Thanks both.

She's way off being ready for pairing yet, probably three seasons before I pair her, and when I do, I'm already considering putting a single gene male with her to see to see of I produce some supers to hopefully confirm some of her possibles. Enchi, or pastel!

I may create an enchi pastel this season so plans may change, but I don't plan putting another power house to her as I'll be guessing for years!

Thanks again