Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 531

1 members and 530 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Clutch ID help please

Hey all! Here’s my first clutch, just shed - and it’s a tricky one. Would love to get some input on it, especially IDing asphalt (no other YB complex genes in the mix). I have guesses, but I’m not confident in my ID abilities at all :wink:
    Here’s the pairing:

Spotnose, Enchi, Asphalt
    X
    Calico, OD, X-treme gene

Thanks for taking a stab at it!

- Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    This is gonna be a tough one but I'll do my best. I'm not very familiar with X-treme, so that's the one I'm most likely to be wrong with or missing. Asphalt is tricky in this clutch because you can't rely on belly pattern as much with Spotnose and Calico effecting that as well.

1. Calico OD Spotnose X-treme
    2. Calico Enchi OD Spotnose
    Between 1 and 2, 1 has far more side pattern color pulled out and much brighter orange in belly and lower sides so I think X-treme is at play doing that. Neither have extreme enough flaming and blushing for me to suspect Asphalt is there. 2 has more squared off side pattern and stronger eye stripe so thinking Enchi even though there are still some eyes in side pattern. Obvious Spotnose headstamps and Calico white in side pattern.

3. Enchi Spotnose
    Good Enchi eye stripe even though pattern for Enchi is weak. Obvious Spotnose headstamp.

4. Asphalt
    5. Asphalt
    4/5 Both have pretty strong blushing and classic YB-allele headstamp aside from just the belly markings. They are lacking Spotnose headstamp or any indication of Calico and side pattern. Can't see the eye stripe well on either, so possible Enchi is in either, but no strong indicator for it in side pattern.

6. Asphalt Calico Enchi OD X-treme- This one obviously has a lot going on. Enchi and Spotnose for sure based on eye stripe and headstamp. As much white is in the side pattern, I think calico is obvious too. For that level of blushing, I think Asphalt plus at least OD or X-treme is obvious. Possible it's one and not both though. Finding pics to compare this particular combo or close to it is tough, even if I sub YB since it's a little more common.

Hope that at least helps give you some feedback compared to what you were already assuming. Sorry I don't know X-treme well.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-30-2021),Bob Bledsoe (09-30-2021)

Thanks

Re: Clutch ID help please

This is great! Thanks so much for your input - really appreciate the explanations too. I've had input from both breeders of the parents as well as my own guesses. Yours is really helpful to piece together some of the conflicting IDs... I'm not too worried about the Xtreme gene ID. I can see it in a couple snakes and I think its a factor in the brightness of #6, but it's probably the least worked with/desirable gene in the mix... It might be a factor in making #6 a worlds first though - 5 or 6 gene worlds first isn't worth talking about, but it's kind of cool for my first clutch ;-)
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    This is gonna be a tough one but I'll do my best. I'm not very familiar with X-treme, so that's the one I'm most likely to be wrong with or missing. Asphalt is tricky in this clutch because you can't rely on belly pattern as much with Spotnose and Calico effecting that as well.

1. Calico OD Spotnose X-treme
    2. Calico Enchi OD Spotnose
    Between 1 and 2, 1 has far more side pattern color pulled out and much brighter orange in belly and lower sides so I think X-treme is at play doing that. Neither have extreme enough flaming and blushing for me to suspect Asphalt is there. 2 has more squared off side pattern and stronger eye stripe so thinking Enchi even though there are still some eyes in side pattern. Obvious Spotnose headstamps and Calico white in side pattern.

3. Enchi Spotnose
    Good Enchi eye stripe even though pattern for Enchi is weak. Obvious Spotnose headstamp.

4. Asphalt
    5. Asphalt
    4/5 Both have pretty strong blushing and classic YB-allele headstamp aside from just the belly markings. They are lacking Spotnose headstamp or any indication of Calico and side pattern. Can't see the eye stripe well on either, so possible Enchi is in either, but no strong indicator for it in side pattern.

6. Asphalt Calico Enchi OD X-treme- This one obviously has a lot going on. Enchi and Spotnose for sure based on eye stripe and headstamp. As much white is in the side pattern, I think calico is obvious too. For that level of blushing, I think Asphalt plus at least OD or X-treme is obvious. Possible it's one and not both though. Finding pics to compare this particular combo or close to it is tough, even if I sub YB since it's a little more common.

Hope that at least helps give you some feedback compared to what you were already assuming. Sorry I don't know X-treme well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Bledsoe For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (09-30-2021)