Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

2 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation help with african fat tail gecko

I've had my Gecko for about a month. He started shedding a few days later. Since then he's been shedding random spots (feet, eyes, stomach). I haven't gotten him to eat yet and he's only pooped once. His stomach is kinda blue in the middle. Some of his toes are bloody and one toe is gone and its just a bloody scab where the toe was. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: help with african fat tail gecko

Hi,

What humidity are you keeping him at?

What are the cage temperatures?

What kind of substrate?

Has he been to a vet?

Where did you get him?

I dont know that much about these but I'm fairly sure that the answers to those questions should help the more experienced guys help you quicker once they spot the thread.

I would still book a visit to the vet though to check over the toes at least - that sounds like it was caused by the unshed skin constricting round his toes and cutting off the blood supply so they die. If you can take any pictures of your set up and lizard ( including some of the trouble areas) that might also be helpfull.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: help with african fat tail gecko

the gecko hasn't eaten in the month that you've had it? the toe problems are from stuck shed like derek said. you need to provide a humid hide in his enclosure, soak him in lukewarm water for about 10 minutes and then apply betadine to his toes.

call a vet tomorrow morning and get him looked at. he likely has parasites and will need a fecal done in order to diagnose and treat them. parasites would explain not eating. the vet should also be able to help remove the stuck shed and may give you some cream to put on the raw areas.
    - Emily