Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

1 members and 3,227 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Black Mex. milksnake VS Hondouran Milksnake?

I like both type's alot but cant get both, i've been really looking into ghost hondo's love the looks of them.

Are there any advantages and disadvantage's to either of the above? For example is one easier to handle, better feeder etc?

Thanks for the help guys
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Black Mex. milksnake VS Hondouran Milksnake?

Do you mean black mexican kingsnakes? There is a black milksnake, but I believe it's south american and not mexican. If you're interested in black mexican kings, I've got some experience with them... I've had a couple of pairs for many years and have produced babies for the past few years. They are nice impressive looking snakes, very pretty with a deep shiney black color. I've never had a problem getting any of them to feed, most will taken frozen thawed pinkies right off the bat. I've only had a few that needed to be started on live pinks but they quickly switched to frozen. However.... they can be EXTREMELY variable personality wise...

I've got two adults that are very easy to handle, they've never bit me or crapped on me and are quite well behaved. I've taken them out many times for educational shows where a lot of people will be touching and petting them and I trust them completely.

One the other hand..... I've also got a pair that will bite and thrash constantly. One of them has the trick of bleeding from her cloaca and the other can void her bowels so forcefully that she can hit a target from 4 feet away. All of course while biting and thrashing and twisting at the same time. And no... handling these ones regularily does NOT tame them down, you just get to bleed more often.

I've found that I can usually tell what kind of personality they will have within a few weeks of hatching. Some are naturally high strung, and some are naturally laid back. My best advice in buying a Mexican Black King is to see if you can handle it first before buying.

Mark

Thanks

.....are you referring to MBK's (mexican black kingsnakes) or black milk snakes ?
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Thanks

Yes, I was refering to Mex. black Kingsnakes im sorry, so are hondourans a better choice, I want to try my hands at a Colubrid, as I have ball pythons and im getting a boa soon.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

hondurans like most milks are hi energy and squiggly as hatchlings but most calm down as they mature.the black milk is the exception being laid back even as hatchlings.they are born as tri colors and turn black as they mature,originally coming from the mountains of central america they are cool weather snakes and don't need additional heat if kept in the mid 70's.about as bullet proof as snakes get.

i can't think of a better first choice of colobrids than a black milk.have fun !
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twh
    hondurans like most milks are hi energy and squiggly as hatchlings but most calm down as they mature.the black milk is the exception being laid back even as hatchlings.they are born as tri colors and turn black as they mature,originally coming from the mountains of central america they are cool weather snakes and don't need additional heat if kept in the mid 70's.about as bullet proof as snakes get.

i can't think of a better first choice of colobrids than a black milk.have fun !
    My house sometimes, gets in the mid 80's expecially the snake room. Will the black milk be tolerable of that or will this cause stress?
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

I have a MBK and three hondurans. They're all super easy keepers. My 6' adult hondo is very docile, though highly energetic. The two babies were nippy little brats at first, but both have calmed down. My MBK is usually well behaved, but she's taken to biting and constricting my hand every time I try to handle her now.. it was ever since I accidentally gave her a rat that was meant for a bigger snake, and I had to take it from her. She hasn't forgotten it seems.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

the person i got my breeding stock of BM's from told me he tried putting them in his boa room (84 degrees) and they stopped eating,i keep my snake room 74-78 (no belly heat added) and have had no problems,like i said there easy and low maintance.

mid 80's would be a bit too high IMO.have fun!
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

Thanks

I say go with the black milk, if you do this is what you have to look forward too,

The little girl is about 4' 8" to give you some scale, the snake is easily pushing 6 feet. Beautiful, large, docile and beautiful! Yea I know I said beautiful twice,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

That picture always amazes me. :-)
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast