Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,914

3 members and 2,911 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTP Setup Help

Thanks

GTP Setup Help

Well... Ive finished my 55hours of OT yesterday WOO WOO!
    Now I'm gonna get a bunch of MOOLAH and I have no idea what to do with it...

Last night I made a final decision... I'm gonna get a GTP! "Can a Get a WOOP WOOP?"

Well right now I only have enough to buy the setup... So I dont know what really to get... I've read and read and read... This is my list so far!

- 24 x 24 x 24 enclosure
    - Nice big water bowl or water pan (help with humidity, could I use a kitty litter box??? thats nice and big)
    - Radiant Heat Panel
    - Digi Thermometer
    - Thermostat
    - Snake hook (so I don't loose my face) (Dont know about this one???)
    - Misting system
    - and Decorations as well... vines and what not...
    - and branches! or pvc pipes or soemthing like that.

I was thinking about getting a heat lamp but that would just suck the humidity so do you think the Heat Panel would be good enough or would I need to something else??

I was thinking it will probably be a baby so I wont need the 24x24x24 enclosure but I want to buy it just for when I need it...

anyone have any pictures of there baby GTP's in the critter things... I'm not really sure how I can go about using one of them.... even a 10G tank might work eh?? but that would be hard to heat and keep humid... ????

Or do you think it would really freak a baby GTP to be in a 24x24x24 enclousure... I'm sure in the wild they have more then 24x24x24... let me know what u think!

Cheers for reading my big post!

I'm gonna get a GTP WOO WOO WOO WOO WOO WOO
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

Thanks

Re: GTP Setup Help

i am about to buy my first GTP as well. either a sorong or a baby Biak. heres a good husbandry site that i have been taking a look at. there are a few extremely diff way to set up a GTP tank tho so do your research

http://www.finegtps.com/Care_sheets.html

heres my new guy hopefully
    pin albino bp in the making

Thanks

Sweet thanks... Ill take a look at that link. I dont think Ive seen that one before!
    Ive heard Sorongs are the best when it comes to being tame but I could be wrong!
    Nice looking guy!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Thanks

If you get a baby I would house it in a converted storage tub... if it is a neonate, the shoebox size will be fine for a while. I would discuss housing with the breeder you buy from.

I would make sure the perches are removable, that makes getting the snake out a lot easier.

Also, get a pair of feeding tongs.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture
    If you get a baby I would house it in a converted storage tub... if it is a neonate, the shoebox size will be fine for a while. I would discuss housing with the breeder you buy from.

I would make sure the perches are removable, that makes getting the snake out a lot easier.

Also, get a pair of feeding tongs.
    feeding tongs - CHECK! Dont need to get bit during feeding... what about a snake hook?? yes, no, maybe??

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

radiant heat panels will be enought to heat up the enclosure. dont bother with a misting system. in my opinion they are pieces of trash and misting youreself doesnt take too long. if you house gtps in plastic enclosures and mist daily then you'll be fine for humidity. a snake hook is a good investment. and if youre going with a baby gtp then grow it up in a 10 gal or small rubbermaid first. have it feel secure and reduce stress and he'll do much better. many ppl use 24'x24'x24' for adult gtps but greg maxwell(the gtp master) suggests 36'x24'x24' for bigger females although he does say the smaller ones can be used for smaller males. and im gonna have to agree with him.

just do your research and set up your researched enclosure before you bring the little guy home!

good luck!

Thanks

Congrats!!

Welcome to the addiction.

Do your homework (as I see your doing) and take your time selecting a nice CBB animal. You do not want a fresh import or wc GTP, you will be in for a ride.

I got my GTP from Ophiological Services (Cindy and Eugene Bessette) it seems that their website is down. But I have their E-mail address I will PM it to you, they are wonderful breeders and people to work with and have been doing this for a couple decades or more.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...Picture134.jpg

Here is my set-up it's a Repti-Racks enclosure, 36x24x24.

I suggest going with a 36x24x24 to create a better thermal gradient. I have heard it can be hard when using a 24x24x24 enclosure to create a proper thermal gradient for your GTP.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...Picture049.jpg

There is my enclosure as well.

Well it's going to be great to see what happens with you and your GTP!

Let me know if you need anything, I'll be glad to help if I can.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

8b8ll, just curious, about how much does an enclosure like that cost? I'm currently trying to price out the purchase and set up of a GTP.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thanks

The cage came with the RHP, and light fixture (extra of course). I think it was around $450.00 when all said and done.

GTP + Herpstat + Cage was about $1,300.00ish

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

Awesome guys!
    I'm just waiting for some moolah and then I'll go out and buy my gagets for the GTP.
    I appreciate all your help, and it's awesome when you guys give me tips like an enclosure that is 36x24x24... if u didnt say anything I would have got the 24x24x24 because that what all the care sheets are saying. Thank you a BUNCH!

Also can anyone give me an idea of what kinda setup I should do when I get the little guy. Like how can I heat up a 10G-15G rubbermaid box??
    Would u use a little heat pannel... or how would you go about it? Any pics would help too...

I have a second question too... Sorong or Biak?? I've heard Sorong are the best when it comes to temperment?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast