Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,042

1 members and 3,041 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Stupid questions ahead....

I got my flexwatt today. Do I attach it directly to the bottom of the enclosure? If so, how do I attach it? Can I just use electrical tape or do I need some other kind of tape?

Thanks

Re: Stupid questions ahead....

I attached it to the surface of what ever the enclosure was on so that I could change tubs out without having to yank off the heat source every time.

Thanks

packaging tape works well

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like Nate said attach it to the surface where the enclosure will be place it will make it easier on you when cleaning the enclosure. If you don't want to place it directly on the surface you can tape it on a pegboard that you will place under your enclosure.

You can use aluminum foil tape that you can found at your local hardware store.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-30-2007 at 06:15 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Aluminum tape.

Edit:
    LOL GA beat me too it
    Mitch

Thanks

This will be used on a 20 gallon aquarium because my daughter wants "her" snake in an aquarium instead of a tub.

If I put it on a peg board do I need to cover the board in aluminum tape before putting the fexwatt on it? Plus, how will I get the flexwatt to be in contact with the bottom of the enclosure since I will have to prop the enclosure up so the chord won't be smashed? Will I have to tape the board to the enclosure? It seems like that might work better if the snake is in a tub.

When you tape the flexwatt to the underside of an enclosure do you just tape along the edges or do you tape over the whole thing?

We will most likely not be moving the aquarium for cleaning. My plan is to use a spray bottle with Chlorhexidine Solution in it. We will probably just place a towel over the electrical stuff to help protect it. Do you all think that will work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KJE
    This will be used on a 20 gallon aquarium because my daughter wants "her" snake in an aquarium instead of a tub.

If I put it on a peg board do I need to cover the board in aluminum tape before putting the fexwatt on it? Plus, how will I get the flexwatt to be in contact with the bottom of the enclosure since I will have to prop the enclosure up so the chord won't be smashed? Will I have to tape the board to the enclosure? It seems like that might work better if the snake is in a tub.

When you tape the flexwatt to the underside of an enclosure do you just tape along the edges or do you tape over the whole thing?

We will most likely not be moving the aquarium for cleaning. My plan is to use a spray bottle with Chlorhexidine Solution in it. We will probably just place a towel over the electrical stuff to help protect it. Do you all think that will work?
    have fun with that aquarium... just curious- will this be a baby or adult? i a baby prehaps you can con her into using a tub while it is small just to ensure it feels safer and gets to feeding & shedding?
    What do you mean place a towel over the electrical stuff? like.. when you spray? i would think so long as the flexi is under the tank/tub and you are careful you wouldn't need a towel over it really.

Thanks

We already have the snake. We've had him for about 6 weeks now. He's about 31" long. I am currently using a UTH and will be switching to the heat tape.

The UTH I currently have is mounted to the side of the enclosure because I didn't want it to burn the wooden dresser the enclosure is sitting on. I am also using a colored light to help heat the warm side so that it stays between 90-92.

I originally put the UTH on the side because a very experience snake person said it would be fine. It has worked wonderfully so far, but I think I'll like the heat tape better.

As far as the aquarium goes, I haven't had any problems keeping the temps and humidity correct. I have most of the screen lid covered with a thin piece of acrylic. It works great.