Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,066

2 members and 3,064 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Lamp and heating pad safety

Hey folks. Im about to get my first BP and the question of safety has been raised around the lamps and heating pads, the active arguement being that they're electrical and on 24/7. Any comments on fail-safe brands, tricks to avoid me setting my house on fire? I realise that im not likely to, but then again, I have set a LOT of things on fire. A lot. Thanks,

Andrew
    EH?

Thanks

Re: Lamp and heating pad safety

Andrew, can we assume that when you mention heating pad, you're talking about a reptile under tank heating pad, not the human heating pad? If so, used properly with a thermostat you should have no problems. I think most of the fires caused by heating pads were the human kind and not those specifically built for under the tank.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

For a BP, I would go with a under tank heater along with a quality thermostat (and make sure to get a good digital thermometer). If used correctly, it should not cause a problem, and with it set to the correct temp it would not be hot enough to cause a fire. I don't know that I have ever heard of a UTH causing a fire (if it were to cause one though I would imagine that it would have happened due to improper use), and I think that if you were to have any sort of a problem with it it would just stop working. But if used correctly it would be fine. A heat lamp can get pretty hot, but as far as one being used for a BP, it should only really be used of you have a larger glass tank to help bring up the ambient temps, and this being done when neccessary and not a 24/7 type thing. A heat lamp will suck out the humidity in no time so really a UTH would be much much better for a BP. Many on here use UTH with a thermostat and have had no problems as far as I know, I myself use one. Just make sure to use it correctly and get the appropriate size for the enclosure.
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianNinja
    Hey folks. Im about to get my first BP and the question of safety has been raised around the lamps and heating pads, the active arguement being that they're electrical and on 24/7. Any comments on fail-safe brands, tricks to avoid me setting my house on fire? I realise that im not likely to, but then again, I have set a LOT of things on fire. A lot. Thanks,

Andrew
    ya man just what sunny said get a controled thermostat heat mat or ceramic heat lamp with a habistat control witch keep's the temp at a set one i.e at between 80-88 day time and at night 68-78 but it also depend where u live ie witch countray as i'm in scotland so there way be a slight diff so just watch i keep mine at 82-84 one side and 92-94 all time so you can see the diff but u should be ok you've maid a good choice in snake just put enough hide place's in ur viv cause there very shy ok bud any question just give ne a shout ok and i will get back to u a.s.a.p