Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,939

2 members and 2,937 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I found a ball python in my yard!

Ok, sorry i wish i did. Anyway i did find a green rat snake i believe im from Wisconsin. I'd really like to keep it i've always wanted to try my hand in something wild caught. What do i feed it it is so small. It might be able to eat a 1 day old mouse pinky, maybe. If not i have roaches for my bearded dragon should i try that. Or should i catch some wild crickets no one around me uses pesticide, i live in the country. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: I found a ball python in my yard!

Okay first off, why did you post this in the BP section?

Anyways, You didnt even say what size it was. "really small" doesnt help in the slightest as to give a mental picture on the size of the little fella, so be as descriptive as possible with your questions and hopefully you will get descriptive answers.

So, all in all, whats the roundabout length/girth of it?
    My signature was too long.

Thanks

Thumbs down Re: I found a ball python in my yard!

Ok first off chill out. Sorry i wasted 1 minute of your time. Second i posted in in the ball python section because not many people go on the other sections. And nevermind i think i can figure it out myself. Just wanted to share and get others opinions. Its about the size of a thin pencil and about nine inches. Ill feed it a 1 day old alive pinkie in a week once it settles in and see what happens.

Thanks for the help buddy!

Thanks

I doubt its a green rat snake since they are native to Arizona/Mexico area. No rat snake eats insects. If you can't ID it then let it go.

Thanks

Dang! I'm gonna go make me some popcorn.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eel88
    Ok first off chill out. Sorry i wasted 1 minute of your time. Second i posted in in the ball python section because not many people go on the other sections. And nevermind i think i can figure it out myself. Just wanted to share and get others opinions. Its about the size of a thin pencil and about nine inches. Ill feed it a 1 day old alive pinkie in a week once it settles in and see what happens.

Thanks for the help buddy!

Your the one that needs to chill out. Nobody can tell tone or pitch in text, so just back off on that area.

I was trying to be helpful, but with the information (or lack of, rather) given, i was unable to help. This thread is going to be moved anyways, thats what happens when you post the wrong thread in the wrong section, as with any other messageboard.

I'm just saying you should save the mods some trouble by posting in the appropriate section.

I would have gladly helped if i had the information needed, seeing as i've had numerous amounts of rat snakes, two of which being green rats. So cool it, chief.

Thanks

I wouldn't really suggest trying to keep a snake you found in your yard...I don't have any experience with it myself but I would be worried about internal/external parasites to start with. You would need to find out proper care requirements for a green rat snake, set up a fitting enclosure and get it to the vet for a fecal test and treat it for any parasite load it has. In addition to that, you may have problems feeding it, as it's wild and the mouse pinkies you offer may not be its normal food source. That, and the stress of suddenly being captive might cause it to be reluctant to feed. Some states also have laws against capturing/keeping local species so you should check into that as well.

Taking all those things into consideration, I would be reluctant to try and keep it...
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

I love forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wisconsins rat snake.............link.........http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/...ckratsnake.htm

Smooth green snake(grass snake)-http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/reptile/smoothgreensnake.htm

That is what it is......

So i will feed it insects like i thought at first since not a pinky.

And Since it will be in the basement completely away from any other of my animals i think it will be fine.

Im sorry for posting it here..................Im out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eel88
    I love forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wisconsins rat snake.............link.........http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/...ckratsnake.htm

Smooth green snake(grass snake)-http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/reptile/smoothgreensnake.htm

That is what it is......

So i will feed it insects like i thought at first since not a pinky.

And Since it will be in the basement completely away from any other of my animals i think it will be fine.

Im sorry for posting it here..................Im out.

How did you confuse a smooth green snake for a rat snake?

Anyways, insects are fine. We feed ours crickets, and she loves them just fine.

***EDIT***

Looks like the thread got moved.
    Last edited by Lucifer; 08-28-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

My friend, Jaime had a smooth green snake--beautiful little thing. He wouldn't eat crickets for her, but she eventually got him eating worms.

She bought hers at PetCo (so I'm sure it was wild caught) and it had mite problems... it ended up dying after a mite infestation that she didn't treat in time. Again, I would caution you about parasites (both internal and external).
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast