Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,046

2 members and 3,044 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: ringworm?

Thanks

ringworm?

i'm about 98.5% sure that's what this is but i wanted a little confirmation before i go ahead and douse her with clotrimazole! couldn't get a very good pic because, as you can see, too dark w/o flash and too bright with it. the day before yesterday i noticed a little scab on the back of her neck and didn't think anything of it because she's always into something... but i just noticed how much it grew. what do you guys think?

any responses are deeply appreciated! especially the quick ones!

EDIT: forgot to mention: i don't see any other patches and she's acting itchy. i haven't seen her scratch it but her skin is twitching a lot and she's following me around and being whiney which she usually only does when she's hungry!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Re: ringworm?

Are you using Revolution on her?

A couple of thoughts:
    Revolution can cause hairloss in a small percentage of cats at the application site. That spot, from what I can see, is pretty well centered on her back, at about the spot most flea products are applied.

Allergies in cats can manifest as scratching in that particular area. I have a cat who breaks out every year or two and has to wear a cover until it's totally healed, or he claws it raw.

Ringworm most commonly shows up in cats on the face and ears, and typically has the classic red ring, with a pale center. Grey scaly patches on the body are more typical of ringworm in dogs.

All that aside, the clotrimazole won't hurt so there's no harm in prophylacticly applying it now. I've also had terrific success with Resizole leave-in conditioner. Nothing like having half a dozen gloopy wet cats sulking in carriers and glaring at you. :-)
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Re: ringworm?

no, she's strictly an indoor cat so i haven't used any flea treatments on her. the spot has matured a little over night and i'm pretty positive it is ringworm. not sure how she got it though! at first i thought my dog brought it in but i checked her over three times and can't find it on her. then matt said maybe he brought it in from work. he works at a feed/fertalizer mill. there are a bunch of strays that live there. and he goes out to farms on deliveries all the time so i guess that could be a possibility. i would think he'd have it too though... who knows!

poor girl is definitely getting irritated! it's at the one spot on her body that she can't easily reach to scratch or lick- which i'm counting as a blessing! she's going crazy though! ever seen a dog chase it's tail? kinda like that! when she's not trying to attack herself, she's either on me or right by me- quite a change from the independent, free-spirited kitten i've come to know and love!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~