Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,233

2 members and 3,231 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

The cost of a "free" pet

So I took my two 3 month old kittens into the vet today to get them started on their vaccinations.
    Mind you, I got these kittens for free from 2 different friends of ours. The previous owners did *not* take the responsibility of worming, vaccinating or even looking into the general health of any of the animals they chose (and/or allowed) to breed.

They have received the first of a series of three sets of vaccinations that will be administered over the next 6 weeks. After they are up to date on their vacs, both will be neutered when they are 5 months old.

I thought I'd just throw out my receipt from the vet's office of how much I just spent on two seemingly healthy kittens.

Just spent $200.87 at the vet's office.
    Two kittens=
    Physical exam $18x2
    Feline Leukemia test $24x2
    Tresaderm (for ear mites) $11
    FVRCP#1 (feline distemper, etc) $12x2
    Leukemia #1 (vac) $12x2
    Deworm $3x2
    Frontline Plus (cats) $47x2
    Tax $4.87
    This is *just* the first of three sets of shots. Now granted, the next set will not be that much because the flea treatment and meds will not be needed, nor will any tests, however, next time (in 3 weeks) I will be looking at:
    FVRCP, Leukemia, worming $45.00 for each cat. 3 Weeks after that it will be:
    FVRCP, Rabies $42.00 for each cat.

So, by the time it's all said and done, that's roughly $375 for two kittens... all shelled out within a 9 week time frame. However, for me, it will be in 5 weeks because they didn't start their vacs at 6 to 8 weeks of age. That's pretty darn good I think. Only one kitten had any kind of health issues that needed meds... I and my kitties got lucky (as did my bank account).
    Now ok, this is a "package deal" and once all vacs are given, as long as they are given in the time frame required then the spay/neuter are free.
    On "average" it costs about $132+ for *one* kitten to get UTD on their vacs just so they are healthy enough to be altered and that is assuming there are no health issues that need to be addressed, such as Rattles and his ear mites. The average price (around here anyway) for a neuter is $80 and a spay is $120.

Bear in mind, these are the *kitten* prices in a "package" deal.... puppy vacs cost even more as do their spay and neuter.

The reason I am posting this is to just give people an idea of what they can (and should) expect if they are considering getting (or giving) a "free" pet.

If you have puppies or kittens PLEASE be responsible and start their vacs once they are 6 weeks old. Not only are you doing others a favor when they go to a new home, you're also doing that animal a favor by giving it a head start to a healthy life. You don't have to go thorugh the whole series, just the first set before they head off to their forever homes.
    And PLEASE, if you are *not* a professional, reputable breeder who breeds *only* to further the quality of the breed, spay and neuter your pets and DON'T BREED. Even "just one litter" is one litter too many.
    These costs would not be so expensive if "back yard breeders" were not so common and if more people took the time to be responsible for their pets.

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different

Thanks

Re: The cost of a "free" pet

Too bad people don't pay attention to these facts. Everyone seems to want a freebie and not enough people are willing to care for the animals when they actually get them. Great post!

Thanks

excellent 'heads up ' post there . ppl seem to forget the actual true cost of a ' free ' pet these days . like they say ...' no such thing as a free lunch ' !
    1.0 Graziani Pastel
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Albino
    2.5 Wild type ( 2 Reduced Females )

''Time is the blink of an eye , use it wisely''

Thanks

Thank you.
    I would just like to point out that, while these numbers seem pretty high, they actually are not that bad at all. Yes, I just about choked when they told me two hundred.... as did my hubby when I told him what it came up to, but..... that's with meds and stuff.... and 2 cats.

Also, it is becoming more popular (in some areas) for vet clinics to allow deferred payment and/or delayed payments.
    Like my vet for example. They will hold a check for up to 3 months before depositing it into their account. So, even if you (like us) don't get paid until the middle of the following month or are on a very tight budget (again, us), you can still get your babies in and get them on the road to health when you need to.

And let us *not* forget the free and/or low cost spay/neuter vouchers that just about every town and city in the US has available, be it from the local shelters, private organizations or businesses.
    Those are there for a reason, take advantage of them!

If we take the time to investigate our local veterinary hospitals and clinics, often times we can find "package deals" like this one (which IS a far sight cheaper than what each vaccination would cost separately).
    Now OK, i didn't *have* to have them tested for feline leukemia and could have saved myself $50. They could have just given the vaccination, but I opted to have the kittens both tested because I *don't* know the history of their parents or what other kinds of cats they've come into contact with.
    They both tested negative so, I am glad to know for sure, one way or another.

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different

Thanks

Great post, and great information.

You would have paid considerably more than that at my vet, and we're kinda low-middle for the area.

"Free" is a running joke. We had a purebred toy breed puppy in last week that some couple got for free with the purchase of a new car. They've already put around $1k keeping it alive, and with the heart defect it has, odds are poor it'll live more than a few years. These backyard breeders that don't health-check the parents or even vaccinate them produce some of the worst cases.

People come in with some horribly ill deformed little thing and say "I can't afford to treat it, it cost me $600".
    $600 puppy, $2k medical bills, when for a little more, they could have gotten a good healthy puppy from a reputable breeder with sound breeding stock.

Or, spend the $80 at the Humane Society and get an animal that's already fully vetted and speutered....
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Actually the humane socities in my area seem to charge more by breed. Purebred is more then mutt, small breed more then large....over 300 more.

It's amazing how many people think that pets are cheap and free really means free.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good post many people don't see the big picture and think that because an animal is affordable or free they get a great deal.

Animal ownership is not cheap, between the food, housing, vet, etc it can be pretty costly no matter what animal you own.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

it could be worse

my girlfriend bought me a bearded dragon from petco cost about 80$
    then it cost me another 300$ curing coccidia and deworming it and all that jaz from a real herp vet.

her store bought cat was just like your free cat

her first free cat was costly

the second one was much cheaper do to the fact i went with her and nit picked every owner and how their kittens were kept and looking at the adults!

the bottom line is you have to be very selective on who you get said animal from not the price. ask to see the parents and check those litter boxes and housing!

Thanks

Great post, as the legendary saying goes, nothing in life is free.

Just a recommendation for any dog/cat owners, I did not know that it cost roughly $50 for a Frontline flea treatment each time. This is actually something that can be applied very easily at home, with a pair of plastic gloves and the Frontline, you're set. Just a small way to save a few bucks here and there.

When it comes down to it, a dog or cat become another member of the family and whether it be $200 or $2,000 a year you need to spend, you find a way to do it because they're more of a sibling than a pet.

Congrats on the kittens!

Thanks

Snape, I think the $47 cost for Frontline is for a three-pack.

As far as Frontline goes on cats though, for fleas you only have to apply it every two months. It's still monthly if you're treating ticks, especially dogs who go out in areas prone to tick infestation. But if you're just battling fleas, you'll be fine only applying it every two months.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast