Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,122

1 members and 2,121 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help W/ My Sons Red Tail Boa

My son has 2 red tail boas, which are about 1 year old. He has kept them together until Saturday. The male is acting very aggresive, in which this is all new.He bit him on saturday, and continues to hiss at him.. the female, he had out the other night and she was fine until he went to put her back, and he said that she kinda rolled on her back and it took a minute for her to get back on her belly. He is thinking that they both have IBD? He now has them in separte cages. I feel really bad for him. He lives in harrisberg pa and he wanted he to search the internet for the causes of all of this. was wondering if anyone can help here, he really doesnt want to get rid of them, they are his babies. but he doesnt want aggresive snakes either. they are eating well and are showing no other signs. He really doesnt have the money right now to take them to the vets either any suggestions would be helpful.
    thank you in advance
    shari

Thanks

Re: Help W/ My Sons Red Tail Boa

Quote Originally Posted by selscott
    My son has 2 red tail boas, which are about 1 year old. He has kept them together until Saturday. The male is acting very aggresive, in which this is all new.He bit him on saturday, and continues to hiss at him.. the female, he had out the other night and she was fine until he went to put her back, and he said that she kinda rolled on her back and it took a minute for her to get back on her belly. He is thinking that they both have IBD? He now has them in separte cages. I feel really bad for him. He lives in harrisberg pa and he wanted he to search the internet for the causes of all of this. was wondering if anyone can help here, he really doesnt want to get rid of them, they are his babies. but he doesnt want aggresive snakes either. they are eating well and are showing no other signs.
    We can't really make a diagnosis over the internet. However, a vet can.

He really doesnt have the money right now to take them to the vets either any suggestions would be helpful.
    thank you in advance
    and you can't help him in any way??

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I guess the only suggestion I know to offer (besides a trip to the vet) is to just continue watching them. The other thing I would have said would be to separate them ASAP, but it sounds like that has been taken care of.

Hopefully that will be all that is needed. It could be that the building stress of being housed with another snake has caused the male to show some aggressive or defensive signs. Just give him time and patience and I'm sure he'll settle down again...especially if he has a history of being a docile snake.

As for the IBD....I would say that one symptom does not mean an IBD death sentence. Just keep them separated from here on out....and also separate from any other snakes he may have in his collection....and watch both closely for any other odd signs. But seriously, I'd be really surprised if it turned out they had IBD, unless he got them from a source that is known to be a high risk for it. Despite how much it is talked about, it is a relatively rare thing.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I am about to get him so money so he can get him to the vets, but i was just wondering if anyone out there has had similar probelms. Just trying!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet
    We can't really make a diagnosis over the internet. However, a vet can.
    No vet worth his salt would make a diagnosis over the Internet, either.
    -- Judy

Thanks

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...1024061112.jpg

Thats what I told him. I really dont think that it is IBD either. so he now has them in separate tanks. I called him tonight and he said that they seem to be doing fine in the separate tanks. I guess only time will tell. I know he really loves those 2

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    I guess the only suggestion I know to offer (besides a trip to the vet) is to just continue watching them. The other thing I would have said would be to separate them ASAP, but it sounds like that has been taken care of.

Hopefully that will be all that is needed. It could be that the building stress of being housed with another snake has caused the male to show some aggressive or defensive signs. Just give him time and patience and I'm sure he'll settle down again...especially if he has a history of being a docile snake.

As for the IBD....I would say that one symptom does not mean an IBD death sentence. Just keep them separated from here on out....and also separate from any other snakes he may have in his collection....and watch both closely for any other odd signs. But seriously, I'd be really surprised if it turned out they had IBD, unless he got them from a source that is known to be a high risk for it. Despite how much it is talked about, it is a relatively rare thing.
    Last edited by selscott; 08-15-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: putting a pic

Thanks

I know you're trying, and I commend you for that. I hope all is well and it's just one of those things. Keep us posted

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet
    I know you're trying, and I commend you for that. I hope all is well and it's just one of those things. Keep us posted
    Tthanks. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Do the snakes have a place to hide?

Thanks

this is our baby. she is alot bigger now. that was taken last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast